How many rental properties do you own?

How many rental properties do you own?

Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes

I am a private landlord with two properties. My questions is for private landlords:

How many properties do you own that you manage yourself?

0Reply
831 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
11y

I had a goal of 30. Then I realized this was the wrong goal. My goal is now income...not how many doors I own. I reset my goal to the amount of income I desire and gauge my success on how close I am to achieving it. That "income" figures is net income...not gross rents, etc. I also have a goal of being debt free in less than 5 years so that the majority of income stays in my pocket vs paying off mortgages. You can have a huge NOI but pay it all out in debt service!

See this reply in the discussion

181 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Nice job @Jay Raught  

    You are the first person I have seen on the forums buying notes in CT. 

  • Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 248 posts · 178 votes
    10y

    @Michael Noto Thanks,  Generally we do not. this happened to be a good deal.  It is a 2nd and has equity coverage on the first. Even better the first is foreclosing. Saves me the legal... Only fear is the owner may file bankruptcy since he owes the town all kinds of $$ too.. If that happens we just wait longer....   

  • Rental Property Investor · West End, NC · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    2 SFR that I manage, 1 I own outright. Closing on another SFH in 2 weeks in the Fayetteville area. I'll be putting my first SFR up for sale in June because it's not cash flowing very well (bought it in 2005 before the 08 crash). Then I'll use the cash from that sale to buy more doors local to me. Fun stuff!

  • Real Estate Agent · Newark, OH · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 11 votes
    10y
    10 units, self managed. I have a contractor take care of all of the maintenance and any rehabs. I also have someone place tenants and pay them a set fee. I collect the rents and handle accounting.
  • Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes
    10y

    48 units (11 properties) all self managed. 

  • Joseph CatalanoPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Lewiston, NY · Member since 2014 · 192 posts · 97 votes
    10y

    17 units (3 properties) 20 units more with bids in, all self managed

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    10 SFH in Toledo as of 8 weeks ago and buying another 25-50 just for my portfolio this year.

    One pretty cool property that we just bought overseas and will announce the crazy purchase soon.

    I've done hundreds of turnkey deals for investors and really started ramping up my personal portfolio growth this year.

    Still consider our company and myself to be small "fishies" compared to some other operators on this forum.

    Good thread @Brian Smith, I like this comparing who's "D" is bigger hahahahahahahahaa

    Let those Ego's Flo people lol :)

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 61 posts · 29 votes
    10y
    4 in Columbus, Ohio. All student housing. Very easily managed via mobile. Always saving for my next one.
  • Rental Property Investor · Manitowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 178 posts · 186 votes
    10y

    Currently own & manage 1 duplex and a self-storage facility. Been making offers (5+) on SFH and duplexes over the past 3 months, with no luck. Hoping to land our next property soon.

  • Investor · Waterford, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Started investing in real estate in 2015.

    We own 1 duplex, and are in the process of getting another property that is a sfh but we plan to convert to a duplex. In the meantime we are working on #3 and #4.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 116 votes
    10y

    Currently have 8, all self managed. I have a contractor do rehab and major repair, but I handle things like leaks, bug remediation, etc. 

    I'm thinking at 15 it's time to make a decision- do this as my full time career or hire a PM. 

  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    10y

    not enough.

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 143 posts · 82 votes
    10y

    1 in Austin, 3 in indianapolis and 1 in KC so 5 total.  Im also not including my performing note.

    Need like 10 more for financial independence!  :)

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 239 posts · 177 votes
    10y
    1 duplex working on a second! This is a great thread, thanks all for the posts and motivation!
  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    3 doors :( Hope to add another 2 in the next few months. Bringing me to 5 doors.
    Just a small fish in a really big pond :D

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth LaVoie:

    48 units (11 properties) all self managed. 

    Wow.. how much of your times does it take for self manage?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    I have enjoyed this thread for the information purposes, but I'm really in the @Bill S. camp in that I don't kiss and tell. When people ask me this question I tell them the truth: more than 1 but less than 100. When they ask me how much I make from the endeavor, I tell them: enough to make it worthwhile but not enough to stop working and lie on the beach. That covers all of it pretty well :)

    I suppose an enterprising individual that really wanted to research it might be able to come close on their own - after all, property records are public record - but that requires they do the work. Call it paranoia, but I never want to give my potential competitors any more information than necessary.

    Nevertheless - great to see so many other self-managers. I self manage as well - otherwise, I would have picked a different investment vehicle. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    I have enjoyed this thread for the information purposes, but I'm really in the @Bill S. camp in that I don't kiss and tell. When people ask me this question I tell them the truth: more than 1 but less than 100. When they ask me how much I make from the endeavor, I tell them: enough to make it worthwhile but not enough to stop working and lie on the beach. That covers all of it pretty well :)

    I suppose an enterprising individual that really wanted to research it might be able to come close on their own - after all, property records are public record - but that requires they do the work. Call it paranoia, but I never want to give my potential competitors any more information than necessary.

    Nevertheless - great to see so many other self-managers. I self manage as well - otherwise, I would have picked a different investment vehicle. 

     How can fellow landlords be competitors? We are a club of like minded individuals. We should learn from each other. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Gates:
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    I have enjoyed this thread for the information purposes, but I'm really in the @Bill S. camp in that I don't kiss and tell. When people ask me this question I tell them the truth: more than 1 but less than 100. When they ask me how much I make from the endeavor, I tell them: enough to make it worthwhile but not enough to stop working and lie on the beach. That covers all of it pretty well :)

    I suppose an enterprising individual that really wanted to research it might be able to come close on their own - after all, property records are public record - but that requires they do the work. Call it paranoia, but I never want to give my potential competitors any more information than necessary.

    Nevertheless - great to see so many other self-managers. I self manage as well - otherwise, I would have picked a different investment vehicle. 

     How can fellow landlords be competitors? We are a club of like minded individuals. We should learn from each other. 

     Hehehe, not if you're looking to buy properties in my market. Now, if I were not in an expansion phase, it would be a little different. Call it selfishness, but I want all of the landlords in my market to have ******, overpriced houses and treat their tenants like crap. Then, when potential tenants see my places, and rent from me, they will know just how good they have it! 

    That aside, I'm all for helping others learn in other areas, and I've learned lots and shared lots here. Just not my personal financial :)

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I have one SFR that I self manage and am in process of identifying the second property to buy.

  • Investor · El Paso/Socorro, TX · Member since 2012 · 365 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    4 rentals, 1 rent-to-own, 1 in rehab + 1 personal residence in rehab :-)  All self-managed plus full-time J.O.B.

  • Rockwall, TX · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 211 votes
    10y

    Not enough.  If you have too many, I'd be happy to talk about taking some of them  ;-)

  • Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 156 votes
    10y

    I have 9 rentals. All sfr. I work 60+ hours most weeks so I farm out the maintenance,  I handle the management end of it.  

     I have a friend with 25 doors. Sfr or duplexes. Self manages, no debt on them, no job, puts in maybe 20 hours  a week. 

  • Investor · Granger, IN · Member since 2015 · 195 posts · 129 votes
    10y

    I agree with @Ryan Pyle. I have 20 SFH. Started in spring of 2014 and should get to 30 by the end of the year. I do not yet need a PM as I get very few calls. All my tenants are good ones. Nothing is perfect but I could not have asked for this to go any better that it has. Expecting to add a part time person at around 3o units as we expect to continue growing at this pace or quicker.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 308 posts · 144 votes
    10y

    7 SFH at the moment, ALL of them under a PM

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.