Votes
William Houstian
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Need the perspective of this community.

William Houstian
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jun 20 2019, 06:10

My roommate (44M) and I (25M) want to move out of our apartment and into a house. We are both employed in high-income jobs and are well kept and put together people. Good tenants.

However, I have heard landlords are wary of renting to 2 single males because of the stereotype of single male roommates being messy, partying etc. Is that true? Is there anything about our situation that would raise a red flag to you? And if so, what can we do to make the landlord comfortable and show him that we really are good tenants?

Thank you all.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Bombaci
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lowell, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lowell, MA
Replied Jun 20 2019, 06:18

I don’t think that stereotype is true. I’d gladly rent to 2 single guys if their credit and references checked out. Just tell perspectives landlord why you’re moving and give them good references and your current landlords contact info so they can call and talk to them. 

When I rent to tenants I look at the inside of their car in the parking lot. If the cars clean I know you’ll probably keep the apartment clean. If the cars a hot mess and you don’t care then why would you take care of my property? 

User Stats

Votes
Jake Stuttgen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Minnesota
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Minnesota
Replied Jun 20 2019, 06:20

@William Houstian I don't believe that to be true. I think the landlords will take a look at your background, credit, income, etc. and will conduct a good interview with you to see if you are a good fit.

I would provide the landlord with a solid past history, references, employment records, etc.

Most rowdy single guys are the ones who don't have a high income and a solid background, in my experience

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
John Underwood#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jun 20 2019, 06:29

I don't think this stereotype to be true. I also would run a background check and if everything looks good then that would be what I would go off. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac#5 Contractors Contributor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 20 2019, 07:03

Hi William,

I doubt you will have any problems.

With a stable verifiable rental history and work history you should be ok.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Roeling
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Jun 20 2019, 07:42

@William Houstian This is a good question! However, if you are applying to live at the right place with an ethical and professional landlord, they should be able to tell what kind of renter you'd be. Obviously, they will probably do a background check and credit check which will show you will be able to pay on time and that you don't have a criminal record - furthermore, meeting with them in person and getting to know each other a little bit better will help determine if you will be the best fit for that landlord and their property. I feel like the "party" stereotype is usually associated with college students more as well and if you aren't in a college town, landlords probably wouldn't assume that. Just be yourself and it will all work out!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan G.#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 20 2019, 07:58

Yeh, I don't base my decisions on rumors, stereotypes, etc. If you're good tenants, your records will prove that.

User Stats

Votes
Dena Puliatti
  • Property Manager
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jun 20 2019, 08:49

Discriminating based on sexual orientation is illegal.  If the rental company stereotypes 2 people living together, it is a violation of Fair Housing Laws.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jun 20 2019, 09:40

Some people don't like renting to any roommates because of people not getting along and one wanting out of the lease however in your situation you are current roommates and I assume have been for at least a year. You would have a current landlord reference as well. Mention that.  From the partying standpoint you can make a potential landlord more comfortable by acting professionally, show up on time and not smelling like weed (even if that is your thing) or otherwise looking like a partier. If you want a house for a specific reason, it may help to mention that.  All in all if you are a good candidate I would not expect being roommates to be an issue.

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Dahill
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Jun 20 2019, 09:52

@William Houstian, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.  

You're past the 'rowdy' part of your life.  Although 25 is still in the back end of that phase, the fact there's somebody else in their 40's would signal to me you weren't ever a rowdy person or at minimum, not rowdy any more.  It's not difficult to meet somebody and quickly know they're not the rowdy type.

As a landlord, I  always tell my tenants that if they break up or friendship ends it is not my concern.  They are still responsible for the lease and either one pays the entire lease or they find a qualified tenant to replace their half.

User Stats

Votes
Anna Sagatelova
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 2 2019, 11:47

@William Houstian the most important thing you can do is ensure your current landlord (and past, the more history the better) is available to give their reference and also has specific knowledge of your situation. Too often, we call landlords for references and they don't get back to us, or in an apartment community we get ahold of someone who doesn't know anything about the tenants; they might be able to check payment history but that's it - there is no knowledge of how they kept up the overall condition of the apartment.

I agree that for most professional landlords, two male roommates should not raise any major concerns, but you may be renting from a self-managing home owner, and it's possible that you will run into this bias. If you do, the best thing is to be ahead of the curve and to know that the reference you are listing has detailed information and will be able to provide it promptly.

I hope this helps and good luck renting!