• Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Votes |
Vaccinations for ESA?

Shane H.
  • Investor
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Posted Jul 8 2019, 10:48

I recently had a tenant adopt a cat without giving permission first. When questioned they agreed to pay a deposit and she also had a 4+ year old note from her Dr. stating that she had a need for an ESA.

• They are inherited tenants but have lived there for 8+ years
  • They had a dog and cat when i inherited but have since lost both.
    • On that note, they treat the property well and I have not seen any animal damage before
    • Of course this is a kitten and a male that is not fixed so i'm worried about it 'spraying'

Back to my current dilemma, I used the website Petscreening.com to which she said she was having trouble uploading the documents including their request for the cats vaccination records. I offered to try and help but she never would respond with the records so it is still sitting in a pending status. Then she later said that she doesn't believe in shots/vaccinations...

Fast forward to today and she got at least the rabies shot and will be sending that my way, but it prompted me to wonder a few things that I thought i'd ask the group.

1. If she had refused to get the rabies vaccination, could i have forced the issue being that it's essentially what equates to a living wheelchair?
  2. If i was opposed to her having the animal, does the age of the Dr.'s note matter?
  3. I do not have the ability to upload the vaccination proof to the website, should i just let the website app fall off and call it good? or try to call and get it uploaded?
  4. I would like the cat to be fixed, but A) i am almost 100% positive i can't enforce that. The rabies is one thing as i believe it's required that everyone get their animals vaccinated for rabies, but spay/neuter is not. B) So then i'm left with either offering to pay the $50 (we have a great program through the local humane society) for them to have it done, or just risk the cat marking its territory everywhere when it reaches maturity.

Thanks in advance everyone!

User Stats

Votes
Clint Shelley
  • Surveyor
  • Dothan, AL
Votes |
  • Surveyor
  • Dothan, AL
Replied Jul 8 2019, 10:54

I would chalk this up to I have a hole in my screening. If they've been good and have limited their other pet damage, I would let them keep it. Tell them youre allowing it because they've been good tenants. Since they got the rabies shot, it appears they are responsible pet owners. Let them know you're concerned about the spraying and that you'll be doing frequent inspections to make sure kitty is not making the place up. Good luck.

Clint