Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. There may be pitching of products, services or properties at this event!
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
@Kathleen L. and @Sergey Tkachev, thanks for tagging others. And glad you can make it Mel, and thanks for sharing. Feel free to tag others on here.. (Kathleen, I'll actually be there! Departing 3/11 I believe...)
I had dinner with Brian the other night and talked to him about potentially expanding my business. As always, he had some sage advice and questions to make me think deeper about how I grow my business and create true long-term success. He reminded me it's not just about momentum and a good deal.. It's about timing! When else do you get to sit down with an amazing RE investor with a huge portfolio of multifamily, house flips, and hundreds of single family homes, get economic and piloting lessons, and have a fantastic Italian meal in quaint downtown Santa Rosa.. Only with Brian Burke!! Looking forward to more of his insights at the Summit!!
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
Excited to be coming out to help pick the brains of @Brian Burke once again, along with meeting the infamous @Ben Leybovich in person for the first time, and of course learning more from @Al Williamson !!! (I should have followed his advice sooner and I'd have bigger pockets!!) These 3 all have great insights, and the group for networking is going to be incredible!! A small sample below..
It looks like we have about 20 folks coming out so far from the San Francisco Bay / Oakland / San Jose / Sunnyvale / Marin area, (let's carpool meetup on the way up!) including hammer-swinging, Silicon Valley and Oakland investing star @Arlen Chou , my investing partner @Kathryn M. , @Nischal Belthangady, @Sandeep S. , @Sergey Tkachev , @Alfredo , @Ryan Landis, @Tim . Glad to see @Elizabeth Colegrove coming up.. Can you please each tag a few people in your area or tell a few friends who may be interested? And where the hell is @Account Closed , can you make it or know anyone interested in Sac or having fun with all of us?
Excited to enjoy the time with a bunch of great real estate investors! Hope you all can make it out! I'm going to try to spend a night or two up there and enjoy the weekend. Hopefully will be nice and warm :) And only a 2 hour drive from the Bay! And we can carpool and chat on the way. So no excuses!!
I know Al has many more folks from Sacramento, Elk Grove, Roseville, Tahoe, Davis, and other nearby areas.. Excited to see and meet them there too! North and (more) North coming together!
PS. How much would a limo be from SF to Sac!?! lol
Investor · Kensington, CA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 13 votes
10y
Sounds like a great meeting. Haven't seen you all for a while, but I won't be able to join. Ironically, Mr. "lifestyle investor" @jmartin I will be enjoying the Caribbean while you are in a meeting. ;-)
Adding a few other names to make sure they know about it.
Real Estate Agent · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 40 votes
10y
Thanks for the shout out @J. Martin! I signed up including dinner. (I hope there is something vegetarian.) I've shared the link with a couple of clients who are not on BP too. I'm driving up from Berkeley and probably have room in my car if someone needs a ride. Thanks @Al Williamson for organizing this!
Mel Selvidge, Realtor Cal BRE# 01966449 Pacific Union International | Christie's
Investor · Malaga, Andalucía · Member since 2014 · 150 posts · 73 votes
10y
Thanks for the notice @Sergey Tkachev - I haven't been able to spend much time on BP lately, so I totally would've missed out otherwise. Will bring this up to my wife later tonight, but I imagine we'll likely see everybody there.
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
@Kathleen L. and @Sergey Tkachev, thanks for tagging others. And glad you can make it Mel, and thanks for sharing. Feel free to tag others on here.. (Kathleen, I'll actually be there! Departing 3/11 I believe...)
I had dinner with Brian the other night and talked to him about potentially expanding my business. As always, he had some sage advice and questions to make me think deeper about how I grow my business and create true long-term success. He reminded me it's not just about momentum and a good deal.. It's about timing! When else do you get to sit down with an amazing RE investor with a huge portfolio of multifamily, house flips, and hundreds of single family homes, get economic and piloting lessons, and have a fantastic Italian meal in quaint downtown Santa Rosa.. Only with Brian Burke!! Looking forward to more of his insights at the Summit!!
Rental Property Investor · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 15 votes
10y
@J. Martin Thank you so much for the tag sir. Unfortunaly I am out of the country that weekend. I so wanted to be there. Keep in touch and Tag me on any future meetups please. Hope all is doing well with you. Good job for putting up an event @Al Williamson. Looking forward to learning from you.
Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 44 votes
10y
Thanks @J. Martin but as a church musician Saturday is choir rehearsal preparation for Sunday service and I can't be there but I know it's going to be great.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to join any of the meetings lately because of my schedule but I'm there in spirit. Still constantly looking for wholesale and flip opportunities.
Thanks for keeping me in the loop hopefully I'll get to see you all soon.
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
I'm not an expert on the Sacramento market, so I wanted to get some feedback from locals or others investing in the area. How are rents? Increasing? Lots of demand? I don't see any big risks on the economic horizon for Sacramento beyond entering the latter phase of this expansionary cycle, like we are in the rest of the Bay and CA, in the data I have. It looks like Sacramento has some similar relationships to job growth, economic conditions, and leading indeces as most of the other areas I have analyzed..
WHEN JOBS ARE GROWING, RE PRICES GENERALLY GO UP!!
More specifically, % changes in jobs, acceleration/deceleration in job growth, coupled with economic conditions, tend to be good indicators of changes in housing prices and acceleration/deceleration in housing prices..
Changes in job growth and Economic Conditions Usually Precede Change in RE Prices
We can see that job growth and economic activity peaked 2013, and RE price appreciation peaked at over 20% shortly thereafter. Since 2014, economic conditions, and job growth have slowed from their peak. You can see the decline in local economic conditions preceded prior deceleration and losses in RE prices. It is declining again now.. (fortunately, like prior downturns, RE is still appreciating *at decreasing rates* as these indicators start to decline :)
And major cities tend to follow the CA Leading Index of economic indicators..
Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
10y
@J. Martinthanks for sharing these graphs. I thought we were seeing a slowing of the rate of appreciation in the last half of 2015. The supply of homes on the market in Dec 2015 and jan 2016 were down to 1734 and 1712 homes for sale in Sacramento county. That was the lowest levels in over a year. I am wondering if we are going to see a spike in home values this spring? given the fact that mortgage rates dropped in Jan 2016 also instead of going up.
Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2011 · 92 posts · 69 votes
10y
Hi @J.Martin. Thanks for the Tag. We have been busy with the start up, I haven't been to the meet ups in months :( I miss the gang! Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this time. I'm sure it will be great like the last summit (or even better). I invited my friends, I'll let you know if they can make it :)
Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 6 votes
10y
Would this be appropriate for an extremely new investor who knows hardly anything or is this for more experienced investors? My husband was going to be out of town on business, but his trip got cancelled so I might be able to attend if fitting.
Investor · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2012 · 118 posts · 121 votes
10y
Thanks @J. Martinfor the tag. Really appreciate you remembering me :)
I am going to Yosemite that time for a week long school trip with my daughter - so will miss this summit. (One of the many benefits of quitting the W2 job ;) btw - I did quit my corp. job on Jan 22 as I had told you. Did I win the beer pitcher bet we had?
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
*RIDE OFFERED FROM THE BAY AREA to SAC - LEAVING FRIDAY 6PMish - RETURNING SATURDAY 9PMish*
I'll be riding up with my buddy @Arlen Chouon Friday evening from the Bay Area to Sacramento. We'll stay in Sac on Friday night, attend the event on Saturday, and head back to the Bay on Saturday night after the VIP dinner. Arlen will be leaving from Milpitas area, and you may need to meet by BART station if you can't meet him down there. So Silicon Valley, East Bay, and SF investors would be welcome if you can make it out to him.. There are at least 2 seats available. TAG ME AND/OR ARLEN IF YOU WANT A RIDE!!!
@Bill Bockwoldt, will be nice to see you again! I'd also like to pick your brain about the businesses you are investing in. More of my RE buddies have by buying/starting small businesses, and I'll admit I'm getting more curious ;)
@Gordon Cuffe, yes, looks like a deceleration in home prices, but they are still going up. The chart makes it look like appreciation will peter out over the next year or two. But time will tell.. Are you going to be out at the event to network with the rest of the Sac investors?
@Raman Bindlish, Glad I could you tip you from the fence! It should be a great event.
@Anja Brey, Stoked you're coming too! Sorry Chad can't make it!
@David Hays, Good to have more local Sac folks on board! And thanks for helping out tagging @Sergey Tkachev! Looking forward to seeing you again!
@Al Williamson, yes, always a pleasure to sit down with @Brian Burke. I didn't set up a camera to make Brian eat his lasagna on film, but I got a lot out of the conversation about growing a business (and some warnings/lessons along the way..) For all the great real estate advice he has, I think he's at least as thoughtful a businessperson as he is savvy as a real estate investor. And that's amazingly valuable for a lot of us who are growing or considering significantly expanding our existing enterprises. As Brian reminded me, in addition to location location location, timing timing timing matters a lot!!! ;) Looking forward to more!
@Adrianne Hanusek, Al can probably comment more as it is his event, but I think it is a great place to learn a lot and meet some great investors. I personally know most of the folks coming out from the Bay. So I would encourage anyone who can make it to go. Everyone is nice and helpful, so feel free to come out no matter your partner's plans!
Looking forward to seeing you all out there! Tag a few more folks you know who might enjoy it!! :)
Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
The mission of the Summit at the Guild is to bring together 200 of the best and brightest house flippers, wholesalers, commercial/residential landlords to share strategies and form partnerships that lead to long-term success.
So @Adrianne Hanusekyou are more than welcome. You will be inspired and get a lot from the event BUT you'll benefit more if you have a few deals under your belt.
Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 6 votes
10y
@J. Martin@Al WilliamsonThanks so much for letting me know. I'm sure I would learn a ton and be inspired, but it probably makes more sense if I attend a few regular local meetups instead, as they arise, and start working on deals before considering something like this.
Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 28 votes
10y
Totally Coming! Last year as brand new to this industry I came to the San Francisco meetUp where I learned and set a clear strategy of how to start. Today I'm an investor of multi-family property, landlord, AirBnb host, Roost host, and highly involved in the community. I got my fourplex in May, remodeled, filled up with high quality tenants, now I'm in the business of improving the neighborhood by referring quality tenants to my neighbor landlords. (I represent Slavic community in Sacramento so bringing 15 families in 6 months wasn't hard) What I'm trying to say... go to such meetings, you will grow.
Investor, Agent, CPA · West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 690 posts · 262 votes
10y
@Adrianne Hanusek- I'd definitely recommend coming to the summit, EVEN if you're totally new. The mix of investors that will be there will be unique to many of the other meetings out there. Events like this are rare and you'll miss out if you wait until the next one.