How did I do on my first deal?

1 Reply

I just bought my first rental property and I think I did pretty well, but you tell me...

I bought a HUD owned SFR for $40k. ($30k financed on a 20 year loan with $10k down at 4.24%) I spent another $10k on closing costs and rehab, doing most of the work myself. I have basically put about $21k of my own cash into the house up to this point.

I just got a renter in using a reputable property management company, they take 8% of the rent plus half of the first month's rent for tenant placement. The tenant signed a two year lease at $850 per month, and my mortgage, insurance, and taxes come to $365 per month.

How did I do? Did I put up too much of my own cash? I feel like it was a good deal but it will be about 5 years if things go extremely well before I recoup that cash.

@Doug Omenski I think those numbers look pretty good on the surface.  Of course in a property that cheap, Ive got to think your repairs are going to be a higher percentage than in a more normalized priced property.  But I think on the surface it looks really nice, especially for your first deal. Congrats!

Medium logo lf re cire box white bboxRussell Brazil, Associate Broker w/ Long & Foster | [email protected] | (301) 893‑4635 | http://www.RussellBrazil.com | MD Agent # 648402, DC Agent # SP98375353, VA Agent # 0225219736, MA Agent # 9052346 | Podcast Guest on Show #192

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you