Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Grant Rake
Votes |
Preferred Hot Tub Size for 5 BR Cabin

Grant Rake
Posted Jan 22 2022, 17:31

I am in the market to purchase a hot tub for a 5 bedroom cabin. I am new to the short term rental hosting game but was curious if the 5-6 person size would be the most logical for this size of cabin.

I appreciate any insight.

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Jan 22 2022, 17:38

Standard 5 seater is par for the course and won’t get you in any hot water with guests. Just make sure you put the size in the listing and you’ll be good. Any bigger than that and you’re asking for deck issues. Even a 5 seater will need reinforcements. The above language is for the smokys for anyone who happens to see this. 

Thank you.  

User Stats

Votes
Ken Boone
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jan 22 2022, 18:09

Yea and if you go bigger than that you get other issues too. Once you go bigger they need two pumps which means more parts to break.  Also need more water to fill after every guest.  Takes cleaners longer to get that job done and could be a concern if you are on a well. 

User Stats

Votes
Marcello Di Gerlando
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jan 22 2022, 19:05

The smallest you can get away with. Ensure its a 240V and not a 120V. I have 5BR and my 7ft by 8ft tub is too big. way too much maintenance if it requires a water change. Set rules. e.g "No more than 4 people at a time in the spa"

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Jan 23 2022, 00:12

I built my own wood fired hot tub from materials left by STR tenants. I use the Glock to plink at squirrels.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless#1 Wisconsin Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum Contributor
Votes |
Alecia Loveless#1 Wisconsin Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum Contributor
Replied Jan 23 2022, 01:55

@Grant Rake I had a 7 room bed and breakfast and a 5 person hot tub was just the right size. It sat on the deck and we reinforced it from underneath with concrete pillars. Often 4 people shared it. I’d definitely recommend going with 240v. Mine was 120v and the heater did not simultaneously run while the jets were on so if people were in it for 30 minutes and then new people got in it the temperature would drop from its standard 102 degrees down to 97 or so and where I’m at if it was 10 below zero that was a big problem.