Nathan Winston
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
STR thoughts on a higher end co-ownership property

Nathan Winston
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jul 23 2022, 14:09

Hi all

I'm interested in getting some of the community's thoughts on buying a co-ownership in a higher end property to use as a vacation rental. 

Here's a house that sold recently in Steamboat Springs just as an example: https://www.zillow.com/homedet...

Has anyone done something similar? Is this even a worthwhile strategy to realistically consider?

Beyond the obvious that you'd only be a partial owner (in the above example, 1/8 owner) and not have full control over the management of the investment, what other considerations should be kept in mind with buying into a property like this? 

At first glance it seems like an intriguing prospect to be able to more easily access a much nicer property in an attractive destination town. That said, I have to imagine there would be many more complications involved with seven other owners beyond the basics of managing a wholly owned vacation rental in the first place. 

@Dave Meyer - what do you think?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 23 2022, 15:17

Not a fan of co-ownership (1 partner) Definitely wouldn't do less than 50% ownership.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 23 2022, 16:10

No fan here either. I would much rather own a smaller property by myself. Ultimately the same money (in most cases) and complete control....

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 24 2022, 05:47

No. This is not a wise investment. It sounds attractive because it's easier to get into, but very few people successfully build wealth through "easy" methods. Save up the money and buy your own investment that you control.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 24 2022, 06:56
Quote from @Nathan Winston:

Hi all

I'm interested in getting some of the community's thoughts on buying a co-ownership in a higher end property to use as a vacation rental. 

Here's a house that sold recently in Steamboat Springs just as an example: https://www.zillow.com/homedet...

Has anyone done something similar? Is this even a worthwhile strategy to realistically consider?

Beyond the obvious that you'd only be a partial owner (in the above example, 1/8 owner) and not have full control over the management of the investment, what other considerations should be kept in mind with buying into a property like this? 

At first glance it seems like an intriguing prospect to be able to more easily access a much nicer property in an attractive destination town. That said, I have to imagine there would be many more complications involved with seven other owners beyond the basics of managing a wholly owned vacation rental in the first place. 

@Dave Meyer - what do you think?

All these type deals, such as fractional ownership, time share, vacation clubs, condotel, etc have a common element…..whatever investment profit existed has already been extracted by the sponsor.  Think of it like this, you could build/buy a residence for say $500,000.  The sponsor sells the same residence to 6 people in equal shares for $125,000 each.  So effectively you paid 50% over market.  How do you profit from that?

User Stats

Votes
James Sigsbee
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Replied Mar 19 2023, 09:23
Nathan,

If you are serious about this, I think you should look into the business model of companies already doing it and consider doing it from the sponsor/GP side and retaining an ownership stake instead of being an LP in a deal.  There are several other companies doing this now.  This may be a good move for some for lifestyle, but it looks like a terrible idea as a pure investment to me.   Way too much markup and a lot of deals seem to be negotiated at the asking price of a property without even a favorable acquisition price before all the fees are considered.  

If anyone else has an interest from the GP side, please DM me.