Votes
Christopher Oliva
  • Texas
Votes |
Str occupancy limit in San Antonio

Christopher Oliva
  • Texas
Posted Aug 5 2022, 10:43

I'm getting my first STR going in San Antonio and I know that per the city ordinance the limit for adults is 2 per sleeping area. But what about children, is there a limit on how many children can sleep in any one room?

The reason I ask is because my STR property has 2 large bedrooms upstairs that could easily fit 3-4 twin beds each but I don't want to waste the money on buying the beds if it'll put me out of compliance.

Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 14:55

Best thing to do would call the city and see what they say. It might be a per sqft thing? 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Aug 5 2022, 15:20

I do not believe that is the rule. If it was, you would never see 2 sets of bunk beds in a room. Plus you can put a sofa sleeper or futon in the den or living room for more bodies. Also, I have never gotten an inspection from the city. They want to know that you have a fire extinguisher, a floor plan on file, parking that is off the street and thats really about it. Oh, and that you pay your HOT (Hotel Occupancy Taxes).

ps we have a meeting on August 10th talking about STR and mid term. info is on my profile.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 16:18

Hey @Christopher Oliva

I wouldn't take any risks on this one and would call the city once you get a chance. Even though it may be tough to get someone on the phone it will be way much more useful to hear it directly from them instead of taking the risk of being out of compliance. 

Hope this helps and if you ever need anything don't hesitate to reach out! 

All the best,

Josh 

Keller Williams Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Oliva
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Texas
Replied Aug 6 2022, 18:50

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll call the city and get clarification just to be safe.

@Rick Pozos Thanks for the heads up on the meeting on 8/10, I'll check the info out and see if I can make it. Also, great idea about a sofa sleeper in the den and living room, I hadn't considered that.