Votes
Jared Romaine
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
Recommendations on best STR communities near Disney World

Jared Romaine
  • Walden, NY
Posted Aug 14 2022, 04:37

Hi all. I have seen some conversations in this forum around STR rentals in the WDW vicinity but not for my specific question.

We are looking to purchase our first STR property within the next 6-12 months and our large extended family loves to vacation near the parks in Orlando.

We are likely looking for a single family home around 5-7 bedrooms with a private pool, nice clubhouse, larger resort style pool/water park and close proximity to the parks.  

We plan to be vacationing in January and thought we could book a stay in one of the recommended communities to see what it’s like (we typically stay in a Disney resort).   

The ask:  based on our criteria, which communities near Disney would you recommend?   Which would you avoid?   Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied Aug 14 2022, 09:00

The only real outlier amongst all the communities is Reunion, which is higher end and less ROI friendly. If you want it primarily to use for yourself and want to make a little money on the side then it might be worth considering because it's the nicest neighborhood with the nicest homes. But if you want it primarily with cash flow as your number one goal then it's probably not a good idea both because the homes are more expensive there (and while they'll rent for a little bit more, not enough to make up for the higher acquisition price) and because your guests don't get access to the resort amenities unless you use their preferred PM (bad idea, your best returns will come from either self managing or finding a smaller boutique PM that takes a smaller cut).

Outside of that, there are a bunch of neighborhoods that are basically the same.  Champions Gate, Solara, Storey Lake, Solterra, Windsor at Westside, etc.  I stressed over which of those neighborhoods to buy in and, in the end, now that I have mine in Champions Gate and manage a few others in other resorts, I've realized it doesn't really matter.  If you want, you can visit the area and pick your personal favorite.  Short of that you can expand your search to all of them which will give you the best chance of finding the best deal since you'll have more inventory to choose from.

So long and short of it, based on your goals you need to decide on Reunion vs. all the rest.  If you choose 'all the rest', I don't think it really matters much which one unless you have a personal preference.  They're all essentially the same thing.

ETA: Oops I forgot to mention the other outlier.  The original Windsor Hills, which is older homes, a lessor resort area, but much closer to Disney than the rest.  This would be a good option if you're looking to buy a place to do value add via major renovations on and really modernize.  A fixer upper option, of sorts, moreso than the normal theming any of them will require.

User Stats

Votes
Jared Romaine
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
  • Walden, NY
Replied Aug 14 2022, 12:14
Quote from @Ryan Moyer:

The only real outlier amongst all the communities is Reunion, which is higher end and less ROI friendly. If you want it primarily to use for yourself and want to make a little money on the side then it might be worth considering because it's the nicest neighborhood with the nicest homes. But if you want it primarily with cash flow as your number one goal then it's probably not a good idea both because the homes are more expensive there (and while they'll rent for a little bit more, not enough to make up for the higher acquisition price) and because your guests don't get access to the resort amenities unless you use their preferred PM (bad idea, your best returns will come from either self managing or finding a smaller boutique PM that takes a smaller cut).

Outside of that, there are a bunch of neighborhoods that are basically the same.  Champions Gate, Solara, Storey Lake, Solterra, Windsor at Westside, etc.  I stressed over which of those neighborhoods to buy in and, in the end, now that I have mine in Champions Gate and manage a few others in other resorts, I've realized it doesn't really matter.  If you want, you can visit the area and pick your personal favorite.  Short of that you can expand your search to all of them which will give you the best chance of finding the best deal since you'll have more inventory to choose from.

So long and short of it, based on your goals you need to decide on Reunion vs. all the rest.  If you choose 'all the rest', I don't think it really matters much which one unless you have a personal preference.  They're all essentially the same thing.

ETA: Oops I forgot to mention the other outlier.  The original Windsor Hills, which is older homes, a lessor resort area, but much closer to Disney than the rest.  This would be a good option if you're looking to buy a place to do value add via major renovations on and really modernize.  A fixer upper option, of sorts, moreso than the normal theming any of them will require.

@Ryan Moyer - so helpful, thank you.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Mccaw
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Replied Aug 15 2022, 13:04

@Jared Romaine I purchased in Windsor Hills last Dec. We decided on that HOA for a few reasons. 1) Amazingly close to the parks. 2) Houses are not on top of each other. There is plenty of green space. 3) The security is legit. I want to know my property is secure. And my tenants won't have their cars broken into. Most the of the other HOAs have security at the gate but not a strict. 4) The HOA is very active and committed to making sure Windsor Hills remains a top resort.

• Property Manager TX (#0562767)

McCaw Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jared Romaine
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
  • Walden, NY
Replied Aug 15 2022, 13:12

@Kyle Mccaw - thanks for the response.  I'm going to send you a DM to learn a bit more, if you have time to answer that'd be great.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Mccaw
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Keller, TX
Replied Aug 15 2022, 14:27

@Jared Romaine works for me

• Property Manager TX (#0562767)

McCaw Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 15 2022, 14:47

Windsor Hills is an amazing neighborhood. Houses can be hit and miss, which can help if you are looking to invest and put some work into the home. They added the big water slides and they are very nice.

Encore at Reunion is a hard pass due to their restrictions. Before the covid real estate craze homes were selling for 50-70% of original purchase price. Lots of foreign purchasers in there.

Others like Solterra, Windsor at Westside, and Solara offer similar amenities and would be more of a personal choice.

User Stats

Votes
Jared Romaine
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
  • Walden, NY
Replied Aug 15 2022, 14:50

@Frank Borzen - thanks for the advice!  Do you happen to own at any of these neighborhoods?  Would you lean towards Solterra, Windsor at Westside, and Solera because they are newer than Windsor Hills?

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Mcgaha
  • Property Manager
  • Davenport, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Davenport, FL
Replied Aug 18 2022, 08:19

Hey there!

A lot of great info was added above! I agree with the Reunion restrictions as well as the complexes listed above. Champions Gate is great to be in as well as Windsor at Westside, Solterra and Storey Lake. Great market to choose to buy in, year round and much potential! I am I work with Vacasa Property Management and can answer any questions about rental income projections in these areas as well.

User Stats

Votes
Steph Prince
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 29 2022, 07:32

@Alyssa Mcgaha

What is the average rental income for a 7 br in champions Gate? after expenses with a PM @ 30%.

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 19 2022, 07:00

We operate our STR in Windsor at Westside! When we first bought our STR in the resort, the whole area needed a little TLC, but since then, the resort has improved a lot! HOA fees are a little high but most of our guests essentially use the clubhouse amenities so it makes it somewhat worth the extra cost!

User Stats

Votes
Jared Romaine
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
  • Walden, NY
Replied Sep 19 2022, 07:06
Quote from @Phillip Marshall:

We operate our STR in Windsor at Westside! When we first bought our STR in the resort, the whole area needed a little TLC, but since then, the resort has improved a lot! HOA fees are a little high but most of our guests essentially use the clubhouse amenities so it makes it somewhat worth the extra cost!

Thanks Phillip, very helpful!  I would love to learn more about your property and experience.  Feel free to PM me if you are available to chat a bit more.  

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Mcgaha
  • Property Manager
  • Davenport, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Davenport, FL
Replied Sep 20 2022, 08:38
Quote from @Phillip Marshall:

Amazing! We at Vacasa have a few properties there ourselves, and the amenities and location are super ideal for renters here!

User Stats

Votes
Alice Horn
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Sep 21 2022, 06:28

Hi @Jared Romaine! I would add that this also depends on your family’s personal preference since you will be using the home. Windsor Hills and Emerald Island are older resorts, closer to Disney and quieter with more green space. You may be able to save on the purchase price if you find a home in need of decorating. 

Championsgate, Windsor at Westside, Solara etc. are further from Disney and have more extensive resort amenities. Homes are closer together and they get quite lively, they can feel crowded at peak times. But also very popular it depends on your preference. 

Feel free to reach out, we can send you a map and answer any questions!

User Stats

Votes
Jared Romaine
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
  • Walden, NY
Replied Sep 21 2022, 06:52

@Alice Horn - that advice is super-helpful, thank you!  I would love any maps or other materials you could send - feel free to PM me.  Thanks again!

User Stats

Votes
Alice Horn
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Sep 21 2022, 06:56

Will do!

User Stats

Votes
Joel Lazar
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Oct 1 2022, 13:07

Check out the Oakwater Resort. Small gated community about 5 minutes from the Walt Disney World property. 

User Stats

Votes
Jared Romaine
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
  • Walden, NY
Replied Oct 1 2022, 13:18
Quote from @Joel Lazar:

Check out the Oakwater Resort. Small gated community about 5 minutes from the Walt Disney World property. 

Thanks, will do!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Koncal
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jan 5 2023, 01:08
Quote from @Alice Horn:

Will do!

Aloha Alice, could you be so kind, can you send me the map as well? Thank you very much in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
Alice Horn
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Jan 5 2023, 03:37
Quote from @Robert Koncal:
Quote from @Alice Horn:

Will do!

Aloha Alice, could you be so kind, can you send me the map as well? Thank you very much in advance. 

Of course! Send me a DM so we can connect via email.

User Stats

Votes
Napoleon DeCiutiis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Short Term Shop / Florida Emerald and Forgotten Coasts
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Short Term Shop / Florida Emerald and Forgotten Coasts
Replied Jan 5 2023, 03:38
Quote from @Jared Romaine:

Hi all. I have seen some conversations in this forum around STR rentals in the WDW vicinity but not for my specific question.

We are looking to purchase our first STR property within the next 6-12 months and our large extended family loves to vacation near the parks in Orlando.

We are likely looking for a single family home around 5-7 bedrooms with a private pool, nice clubhouse, larger resort style pool/water park and close proximity to the parks.  

We plan to be vacationing in January and thought we could book a stay in one of the recommended communities to see what it’s like (we typically stay in a Disney resort).   

The ask:  based on our criteria, which communities near Disney would you recommend?   Which would you avoid?   Thanks!

Jared, 

Hit up The Short Term Shop.  That's what we do, Orlando is a proven market, and our agents there are amazing, and one of them is the #1 for the Realtor Association in that area. They'll gladly help you out!

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Gibson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 5 2023, 04:03
Quote from @Napoleon DeCiutiis:
Quote from @Jared Romaine:

Jared, 

Hit up The Short Term Shop.  That's what we do, Orlando is a proven market, and our agents there are amazing, and one of them is the #1 for the Realtor Association in that area. They'll gladly help you out!

Who is #1 in the area?

GPG Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Myrtle C Antao
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 23 2023, 18:00

I owned a property at the Encore resort and had no success dealing with the one of the two preferred property management company.   I was also not willing to use the only other preferred property management company as the owner is the son of the developer who give no control to the owners.    I then used a non preferred company who were also cheating on me so I finally sold the property.

The Encore Club has power over the HOA. If you do not use the preferred company your guests cannot use the club facilities except for the restaurants. If you use the preferred companies your guests still have to pay a fee to stay at your place even if they are not going to use the facilities. I believe Reunion Encore and Margeritaville are also run by the same owners.

Also at Encore the taxes are extremely higher as you have to pay a fee to CDD    My 6 bedroom was almost 9000 dollars.   

If you intend to buy and manage the home on your own than I would say it is possible as you can hire your own cleaner and handyman that you can trust.   Happy to help with some contacts and other information.   Just DM me

This is a good resort for people that want to own and live in the community themselves.

Otherwise, in communicating with other owners I believe Championsgate and Storey Lake are better to deal with.

However, I believe the STR is saturated so do your homework as there maybe a lot of competition.