Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Jason Edward Watts
  • Realtor
  • Florida
Votes |
Where are the remaining STR's in Florida?

Jason Edward Watts
  • Realtor
  • Florida
Posted Mar 20 2023, 14:03

What's that song.... "Where have all the cowboys gone"..... lol "Where have all the STR's gone"

I am in the greater Daytona Beach, Fl. We have a couple markets for STR's. Where else in Florida?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 20 2023, 14:48

Hey Jason - we are HQ in Tampa and booming adding 5-10 units a month!

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 20 2023, 14:56

Florida's hotel industry is one of the strongest/powerful in the nation and, as such, it has great influence over zoning for vacation rentals. Tampa Bay does have a strong STR presence but it pays to know where it is 'legal' and where it's not. My clients and I - as investors - love the vacation rental business and tend to invest in high-end tourist areas that command at least 80% occupancy year-round with property appreciation in the 20%+ range. Florida is full of these properties and investors...any of the vacation rental sites are great resources to see which cities are fully engaged and at what rate. Hope this helps...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Mar 20 2023, 16:47
Quote from @Jason Edward Watts:

What's that song.... "Where have all the cowboys gone"..... lol "Where have all the STR's gone"

I am in the greater Daytona Beach, Fl. We have a couple markets for STR's. Where else in Florida?

Investment potential: Property in Panama City Beach can be a good investment, as the area is popular for vacation rentals, commercial development, sports complex, new home developments with great cash flowing opportunities.

Amenities: Panama City Beach offers a variety of amenities, including shopping, dining, and entertainment options.

Outdoor activities: Panama City Beach offers a variety of outdoor activities, including swimming, fishing, boating, waterfront restaraunts and water sports.

Accessible: Panama City Beach is easily accessible by car or air travel, with the Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport located nearby.

Proximity to other Cities: Panama City Beach is close to other popular destinations such as Destin and 30A, making it easy to explore the surrounding areas.

Affordable: Panama City Beach offer a more affordable option compared to other coastal towns in Florida, making it accessible for first time buyers or retirees.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Mar 21 2023, 05:09

All throughout the panhandle! Pensacola, Destin, PCB, Emerald Coast, Orlando. 

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Haworth
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Emerald Coast
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Emerald Coast
Replied Mar 21 2023, 06:50

Panama City Beach, FL is a great area!  We own multiple ones there and sold off our long term rentals on east coast Florida to purchase more here.

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Mar 21 2023, 14:16
Agree on PCB as the most affordable NW FL area.  About 25% cheaper than Destin for the same white sand and blue-green waters.  The whole Emerald Coast is STR-friendly. Let me know what questions you have about value, insurance, self-managing here, etc.  I can also send you great local lenders who understand our market.  Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Matt "Roar" Gardner
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 22 2023, 06:52

I'll agree with @Ricardo Hidalgo and @Melissa Haworth that PCB still offer some great cash flow opportunities! That's where I recently purchased a 5-bedroom. 

I'll also add that we are still finding some deals in Destin, although they continue to get more and more difficult to find. lol! 

As an agent and investor along the coast, I've also started looking at the Sun Coast (Tampa/St Pete and surrounding) -- I've found some pretty cool opportunities over! 

Have you found anything interesting, @Jason Edward Watts?

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mandy Groom
  • Clearwater Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Clearwater Beach, FL
Replied Mar 22 2023, 07:29
Quote from @Matt "Roar" Gardner:

As an agent and investor along the coast, I've also started looking at the Sun Coast (Tampa/St Pete and surrounding) -- I've found some pretty cool opportunities over! 

You've piqued my interest! I live in Clearwater Beach and would love something close to home. I've never really looked because of how strict the STR regulations are here, or at least I thought they were. Is there some hidden area down the coast I don't know about? Do tell! 

User Stats

Votes
Levi Bennett
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Mar 22 2023, 07:29

Literally everywhere in Florida. There's a couple thousand for sale right now south of Orlando near Disney World that are all still making money and because of the buyers market, anyone buying would have huge negotiating power. 

• Real Estate Agent North Carolina (#333766)

• SERHANT.
SERHANT. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 22 2023, 16:42
Quote from @Mandy Groom:
Quote from @Matt "Roar" Gardner:

You've piqued my interest! I live in Clearwater Beach and would love something close to home. I've never really looked because of how strict the STR regulations are here, or at least I thought they were. Is there some hidden area down the coast I don't know about? Do tell! 

There are tons of great and legal areas in Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Breitlow
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Mar 24 2023, 07:06

@Lucie Tighe can speak to Tampa area!

User Stats

Votes
Lucie Tighe
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 24 2023, 11:42

Tampa is a solid area to invest and run STR. Lets chat! :)

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 30 2023, 21:08

Just did an acquisition loan for an STR in Cape Coral. Property potential looks great based off Air DNA.

User Stats

Votes
Stetson Miller
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied Mar 31 2023, 15:16

@Jason Edward Watts I can second Cape Coral! This is one of the last areas in Florida where you can still buy waterfront property for half a million, and this significantly affects your bottom line and income potential

User Stats

Votes
Napoleon DeCiutiis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Short Term Shop / Florida Emerald and Forgotten Coasts
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Short Term Shop / Florida Emerald and Forgotten Coasts
Replied Apr 1 2023, 04:47

I'm going to quadruple the vote for the Forgotten/Emerald Coast. It's still super busy here for sales AND rentals. 

User Stats

Votes
Clay Asplundh
  • Realtor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Apr 4 2023, 12:36
Quote from @Patricia Steiner:

Florida's hotel industry is one of the strongest/powerful in the nation and, as such, it has great influence over zoning for vacation rentals. Tampa Bay does have a strong STR presence but it pays to know where it is 'legal' and where it's not. My clients and I - as investors - love the vacation rental business and tend to invest in high-end tourist areas that command at least 80% occupancy year-round with property appreciation in the 20%+ range. Florida is full of these properties and investors...any of the vacation rental sites are great resources to see which cities are fully engaged and at what rate. Hope this helps...

I would be careful to expect 20% appreciation! The main benefit of STRs is the increased cash flow you receive in comparison to long term rentals. I invest in West Palm Beach and there are still lots of opportunities if you know the right amenities to add, create a professional listing, and manage guests well!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan F.
  • Spencerport, NY
Votes |
  • Spencerport, NY
Replied May 26 2023, 15:11
Quote from @Stetson Miller:

@Jason Edward Watts I can second Cape Coral! This is one of the last areas in Florida where you can still buy waterfront property for half a million, and this significantly affects your bottom line and income potential

Has STR market slowed down due to the hurricane? I would think less people would vacation where there is such damage.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
#5 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 26 2023, 17:15

Probably anywhere in FL where STR are allowed, besides the Orlando area.

User Stats

Votes
Stetson Miller
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied May 28 2023, 18:43

@Ryan F. Our busy season is typically October-March, so this past season was almost completely taken out. Many STR operators though were able to rent to contractors and other trades coming in for damage during that time. As we're nearing closer to 100% restored in Cape Coral specifically, and contractors are now moving out, the STR market has returned to what would be typical of a normal slow off-season that we see in the summer months. This is a good indicator that the coming busy season starting later this year should be a return to course as well

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 20 2023, 14:34

There are pockets of these STR locations in orlando. For example in the sky lake area. You'll just have to ask around to find them.

User Stats

Votes
Alice Horn
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Jun 22 2023, 11:57
Quote from @James Johnson:

There are pockets of these STR locations in orlando. For example in the sky lake area. You'll just have to ask around to find them.

Unfortunately, Orlando itself has strict regulations on STR's, for starters they must be owner-occupied - with the exception of just a few communities like Vista Cay which is in Orange County. If you want to check on Disney area STR's that are legally zoned for STR, you'll need to search in Osceloa and Polk counties. Reach out anytime if you would like some suggestions!