Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Brady Ascheman
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Benson, MN
Votes |
Air bnb Automation (How to automate calendars with cleaners and lawn care)

Brady Ascheman
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Benson, MN
Posted Apr 8 2023, 18:05

Hi everyone, a partner and I recently bought a little seasonal cabin on a Minnesota lake that we plan on using specifically for an air bnb. We have rehabbed it and are set to post it in the next couple weeks. I just have a couple little questions that I am hoping someone on the forums has delt with before. So I am trying to figure out my automation with my cleaners and my lawn care for the summer. My question is for the cleaners I plan on using turno bnb (formerly turnover bnb). I can see that you sync your air bnb calendar on there and whenever a new booking comes up for that listing the cleaner automatically gets notified and can accept the clean. What I am curious about is if the guest cancels that booking do the cleaners also get notified? Then my next question is for lawn care. To automate that so my lawn care knows when checkouts are can I just send them the ical link from air bnb and will that automatically update when new reservations or cancellations are made?

Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Apr 8 2023, 19:59

I have used Resort Cleaning and old school text method - especially in the case of cancels. Although you’d still want the place cleaned after someone checks out (so it’s ready for the next guest). 

User Stats

Votes
Keith Linne
  • Investor
  • Minnetonka, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minnetonka, MN
Replied Apr 12 2023, 07:04
Quote from @Brady Ascheman:

Hi everyone, a partner and I recently bought a little seasonal cabin on a Minnesota lake that we plan on using specifically for an air bnb. We have rehabbed it and are set to post it in the next couple weeks. I just have a couple little questions that I am hoping someone on the forums has delt with before. So I am trying to figure out my automation with my cleaners and my lawn care for the summer. My question is for the cleaners I plan on using turno bnb (formerly turnover bnb). I can see that you sync your air bnb calendar on there and whenever a new booking comes up for that listing the cleaner automatically gets notified and can accept the clean. What I am curious about is if the guest cancels that booking do the cleaners also get notified? Then my next question is for lawn care. To automate that so my lawn care knows when checkouts are can I just send them the ical link from air bnb and will that automatically update when new reservations or cancellations are made?

Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

I currently have 2 places in Florida and text my cleaners every time we get a booking, and also if someone cancels or extends a trip. Since I only have a couple of places, I like the personal rapport it builds with my team. It also allows me to note any specifics “guest mentioned x, please check and let me know what you find”.

For regular services (lawn care, pool care, pest control), we note in our guidebook that vendors will regularly visit the property. We also described frequency (weekly, monthly, etc), and how long each appointment will take on average. We also clarify internal acccess will never be given/needed unless we notify the guests prior and explain why. This approach keeps your vendors sane, as they don’t have the stress of varied schedules or trying to fit the same day and time every week (which weather, etc won’t allow anyway). It also protects your time, as you don’t need to message someone any time something shifts a bit. 

Haven't had any issues with the above approach. Would love to hear where you place is! I'm currently working through options to build an STR in the Northern half of MN.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 12 2023, 07:11

This is the ultimate know what you want but take what you can get situation. If you find a great cleaner and they just want you to text or email the calendar, work on getting them converted to your process over time; however, secure the cleaner on their terms first if they are good. Same goes for lawn care...you'll probably find better and more organized options with a larger operation, but it will cost more. If you use the local guy that mows lawns, snow plows, has a machine shop in his back yard, it's gonna be cheaper but not automated. 

My take is that step 1 is finding good people. If they happen to be familiar with and on board with some automated process, that's amazing. If not, slowly try to win them to your way of thinking. 

User Stats

Votes
Ke Nan Wang
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • St. Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • St. Augustine, FL
Replied Apr 12 2023, 07:42

I would recommend be more hands on in the beginning, even you have automation in place, I would check on it during every turnover just make sure it's working properly. To find out whether your cleaner gets a cancellation message, when you get a cancellation, you could ask your cleaner did they get a message about the cancellation. If there is a trial period, test it out yourself. Assign yourself as a cleaner, book a stay and then cancel it and see if you get the message. 

STR is a hospitality business, very different than an investment. If you want your business to be successful and competitive, as a business owner, you need to be on top of everything. I wouldn't be very trust of any automation no matter how good they are. You still need to check on them at the minimum everyday or otherwise you will have lots of surprises and bad experiences waiting to happen.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Oregon
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Oregon
Replied Apr 12 2023, 12:29

Hi Brady,

I would suggest building out your tech stack if you want to have a good automation system. I would start by finding a (PMS) Property Management System that works for your budget and number of properties. The PMS allows all calendar syncing between Airbnb and VRBO. From there you can integrate it into Turno. We use Turno as an integration with our PMS and the calendars are all synced, the PMS is the central hub for our automation.