Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Mostafa Faghih
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
STR market in Columbus, OH & Kansas City, MO.

Mostafa Faghih
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Apr 16 2023, 11:10

I'm looking for top properties in the short-term rental market in Columbus, OH and Kansas City, MO.

I want to know more about the current state of the market, top-performing neighborhoods, and high-quality properties for short-term rentals. If you have experience investing in short-term rental properties in these cities, please share your insights, strategies, and tips for success.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Apr 16 2023, 12:00

Hey @Mostafa Faghih, take some time and do a search, especially about Columbus. There are a number of people who invest in that area with success.

Searching the forums can yield a ton of great info.

User Stats

Votes
Laura Williams
  • Kansas City MO
Votes |
  • Kansas City MO
Replied Apr 16 2023, 15:54

KCMO is getting ready to vote on a new ordinance that would ban all non-owner occupied short term rentals in residential zones & put density limits on ones even in business zones. Columbus OH might be more short term rental friendly market for you.

https://www.startlandnews.com/...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 16 2023, 17:15

One of my borrowers is a frequent investor of STRs in Columbus, OH. Loves the market and has a number of units there. From what I can tell, the market is extremely STR friendly.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Filkill
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 16 2023, 17:38

@Mostafa Faghih Columbus is a great market for STR and MTR. There are a few people in my office that run many Airbnbs and have good success with them. Columbus is home to Nationwide Children's Hospital and Wexner Medical Center which get a lot of travel nurses. Also, Columbus has done well in attracting businesses to expand operations here. Columbus is also home to Ohio State which has a student population around 60,000 and is extremely busy during gameday/weekends with people traveling from all over and staying in hotels/Airbnbs.

Let me know if you want to talk about Columbus more in depth!

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 17 2023, 09:44
Quote from @Mostafa Faghih:

I'm looking for top properties in the short-term rental market in Columbus, OH and Kansas City, MO.

I want to know more about the current state of the market, top-performing neighborhoods, and high-quality properties for short-term rentals. If you have experience investing in short-term rental properties in these cities, please share your insights, strategies, and tips for success.

Thank you!

Hey Mostafa, I would personally really like Columbus Ohio as a short term rental market - there's so many catalysts for why you should invest here. Specifically, there's job growth (Intel, Honda, Amazon, Nationwide, etc) and the population is growing fast (unlike Cleveland or Cincy). I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. I work with a lot of investors here who specifically do STR and MTR by purchasing properties nearby hospitals and rent them out to travel nurses and they are making a killing. As a local investor and agent here, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

User Stats

Votes
Gayle Eisner
  • Investor
  • Monterey, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Monterey, CA
Replied Apr 17 2023, 14:09

Just my 2cents...KCMO has a very high crime rate.  I just saw today on line that a teenager went to the address of the wrong house to pick up his brother...A man answered the door and shot the teen in the head--then shot him again after he hit the ground.  true. Real estate in KC KS has also taken off for Single home investment. 

User Stats

Votes
Mostafa Faghih
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 18 2023, 13:04
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Hey @Mostafa Faghih, take some time and do a search, especially about Columbus. There are a number of people who invest in that area with success.

Searching the forums can yield a ton of great info.

Sure, thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Mostafa Faghih
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 18 2023, 13:06
Quote from @Laura Williams:

KCMO is getting ready to vote on a new ordinance that would ban all non-owner occupied short term rentals in residential zones & put density limits on ones even in business zones. Columbus OH might be more short term rental friendly market for you.

https://www.startlandnews.com/...

I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads-up!

User Stats

Votes
Mostafa Faghih
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 18 2023, 13:08
Quote from @Zach Edelman:

One of my borrowers is a frequent investor of STRs in Columbus, OH. Loves the market and has a number of units there. From what I can tell, the market is extremely STR friendly.

Yea, seems like a very lucrative STR market. Thank you for sharing.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 30 2023, 12:16

Thank you!

Columbus is a great market for STRs and MTRs. I specialize in 1bds and studios here.

User Stats

Votes
Mostafa Faghih
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 30 2023, 13:16
Quote from @Marc Rice:

Thank you!

Columbus is a great market for STRs and MTRs. I specialize in 1bds and studios here.

What about single families? I have gathered some information about single-family properties that can provide a cap rate of over 10%! Would you be able to validate my calculations based on your experience?

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Sep 5 2023, 06:07
Quote from @Marc Rice:

Thank you!

What about single families? I have gathered some information about single-family properties that can provide a cap rate of over 10%! Would you be able to validate my calculations based on your experience?

I don't like them because they attract parties, are harder to set up, and if STR regulation changed then they would not cash flow as LTRs.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Lloyd
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Syracuse, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Syracuse, UT
Replied Sep 18 2023, 10:50

@Mostafa Faghih Have you considered looking into the Hocking Hills area? Vacation market about 45 minute drive south of Columbus. Big STR area, I'm an investor/owner there and if interested would be happy to tell you what I know about the area. Just shoot me a DM.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Sep 18 2023, 16:19

Thank you!

I had 14 short term rentals at once years ago. There's a lot to underwrite including Average daily rental rate, occupancy rate, cleaning costs, booking platforms utilized, furniture, etc. I think I'd focus more on that than the area. I was by the university district in columbus / ohio state university and I was getting $1500 a weekend for a 6 bedroom. I did very well. I think more bedrooms is good. I'd also focus on having more than one strategy than just STRs because of the risk. I'll shoot you a PM to discuss further. the market here is still strong you just have to underwrite. I think the best strategy is a mixed strategy and one that is well thought out of STRs don't work.