User Stats

Votes
Christine Cho
Votes |
Moving out of primary and keep it as STR vs MTR

Christine Cho
Posted May 12 2023, 07:41

Hello all,

I'm in Denver market and will be moving out of my primary residence, a SFH I've been living upstairs and AirBnB the basement doing my own cleaning. When I move out I will be renting out my upstairs as LTR. For basement, I have three options:

1. Keep operating STR and hire a cleaner, and give incentive to the LTR tenant as I'll need them to set up STR license for Denver (Denver does not allow STR if not primary residence)

2. Switch to MTR (I can do my own cleaning)

3. Hybrid of STR during high months (April - October), MTR during low months

Based on 14 months of historical earnings, I've conservatively estimated below with monthly $500 cleaning fee and $100 incentive to LTR tenant when applicable:

1. STR monthly earnings: $2000 (2600 - 500 - 100 incentive to LTR tenant)

2. MTR monthly earnings: $1700 (no cleaning fee to extract)

3. April - October earning is $2500 (3100 - 500 - 100), rest $1700 (MTR is higher during low months than STR - is this accurate? STR during low months is $1500 (2100 - 500 - 100))

TLDR;

1. STR: $2000

2. MTR: $1700

3. Hybrid: $2150

To me, there is no clear winner here since more cash flow means more work and planning. I want to see if I left out anything and if my assumptions are solid. And if there is anyone who went through this, I'd love to hear!

User Stats

Votes
Brett Deas
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Colorado
Replied May 12 2023, 08:51

I do MTR's in Denver and I love them. Not a ton of work for a good reward. That being said STR is almost always more money, but as you noted STR is not allowed right now in Denver. My logic would be the path of least resistance and not fight the city and just MTR the place.

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Pile
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 12 2023, 10:02

@Christine Cho

MTR would be the best option in my opinion to not have to work around the city and having the LTR tenant get the STR permit could cause problems in the future.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kayla Givens
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 12 2023, 10:17

Hey, @Christine Cho! Hopping on the MTR band wagon here as I personally would go that route - maybe less cash flow but less work and less headaches if you run into any issues with an LTR tenant and the STR.

Sweat Equity Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Guimond
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 12 2023, 12:54

@Christine Cho Another vote for MTR. Denver is getting SERIOUS with their STR enforcement as of late and really drilling down on license holders to ensure they're meeting all criteria (which is sounds like you would make every effort to do that), but if you get any bad reviews/complaints because your LTR tenants aren't putting in as much care/love as you did, that impacts you. It may be more headache than it's worth to STR, so I'd go MTR if I were you.

West + Main Homes Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 12 2023, 20:55

Yeah @Christine Cho, what everyone else said. Don't break the law which is what you would be doing.

Either do a LTR or MTR. What would it bring in as a LTR? I would have to guess it would be close to the MTR. The average rental rate in Denver is $2028.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied May 13 2023, 03:40

#1 what's the STR regulation there? Is it even doable?

#2 I’d go more cash flow. 

User Stats

Votes
Christine Cho
Votes |
Replied May 15 2023, 14:19

@Brett Deas @Tanner Pile @Kayla Givens @Brittany Guimond @Michael Baum

Thank you all for comments! I agree with what is said. @Brittany Guimond you have really good points there, I'd like to keep up my hard earned reviews.

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey Porter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied May 15 2023, 16:31

I don't mind your idea of going STR in strong summer months (or whatever your best season tends to be) and then MTR other months. That is what I am transitioning my furnished rentals to in Des Moines, IA as we speak. HOWEVER Denver sounds like much of a headache to do STRs nowadays especially since you're moving so for efficiency I'm also jumping on MTR bandwagon for your scenario. That's what I would do!

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 16 2023, 06:22

Path of least resistance seems to be MTR here with the lack of regulations hurdle that it has as compared to STR.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Porche
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 16 2023, 07:03

Hey @Christine Cho! Yeah it seems at odds... I would likely go for the one that requires less work. Ultimately, I imagine you are investing this way and on here to build wealth and financial independence. Well, normally we do that for time freedom. So I'd vote for the least headache and less management so you can focus on investments or other focuses to either build your wealth or enjoy your time with what you love most.

• Real Estate Agent Idaho (#SP51160)

RY Capital Logo