• Investor
  • Gaffney, SC
Votes |
Need an advisor/mentor

Bruce Humphries
  • Investor
  • Gaffney, SC
Posted May 24 2023, 03:45

I’m looking for someone in the Upstate of SC that can help me wade thru the ordinances and building codes.

I have property that I want to add some short term rentals for recreational areas, but anytime the questions get asked, the county changes the ordinances to block creative minds.

thanks in advance

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Jamison
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mebane, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mebane, NC
Replied May 24 2023, 11:37

I don't often see people have great results when they broadly ask for a mentor. If you put yourself in the shoes of the person you're looking for, what reason do they have to reach out to you to explain complicated local building codes and walk you through the process of adding STRs to your properties.

I'd recommend going to local real estate meetups to try and meet other like minded individuals. Your relationships can build organically and from there you get the information you're looking for. You may also want to find a realtor who specializes in STRs. They can probably answer all of your questions. Remember though, it shouldn't be a one way street. Try to bring value to those you're asking to provide value to you. If you go to a meetup with a mentality of wanting to help others people will naturally be drawn to you and want to hep you on your journey.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 24 2023, 13:41

Hey @Bruce Humphries, so when you ask "can I do this.", they change the ordinance to block it?

Sounds like somewhere I would avoid personally.

You have a single property? Does the zoning support what you want to do?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Humphries
  • Investor
  • Gaffney, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Gaffney, SC
Replied May 24 2023, 13:44
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Hey @Bruce Humphries, so when you ask "can I do this.", they change the ordinance to block it?

Sounds like somewhere I would avoid personally.

You have a single property? Does the zoning support what you want to do?

Michael,
I haven’t gotten that far. Looking at options. The property should be zoned residential.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 24 2023, 13:49

Ok @Bruce Humphries, well if you own the land, then find out the zoning first. If it is zoned R1, you are not going to do multiple units (you said plural so I figured...) on the property.

Have you checked the county website to see if STRs are legal there?

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Humphries
  • Investor
  • Gaffney, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Gaffney, SC
Replied May 24 2023, 13:50
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Ok @Bruce Humphries, well if you own the land, then find out the zoning first. If it is zoned R1, you are not going to do multiple units (you said plural so I figured...) on the property.

Have you checked the county website to see if STRs are legal there?

Great info Michael,

This is the help I’m looking for. 

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 24 2023, 17:38

It can be a bit daunting to figure out local regulations and ordinances, and I agree that sometimes it helps to find someone that has recently done it before you. Try to call the city/county and tell them what you're looking for. They can recommend you to another office or person and if they try to evade the question get out of them what the law is really. Evading is usually a form of "it's perfectly legal, but we just don't like it". I have found that calling and talking to the city makes them realize that there are STR hosts that what to do things right and can be an asset to the community. Plus, it helps me completely understand what is allowed and the hoops I need to get through. Sometimes I have to go through 4 people and still leave a message that is returned nearly a week later, but I received my answer!

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied May 25 2023, 03:45

I think I’d pivot to a different market