Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Bailey
  • Centerville, UT
Votes |
St George vs Mesquite for my first vacation home?

Thomas Bailey
  • Centerville, UT
Posted May 24 2023, 07:19

Hello! I live in Salt Lake City and purchased myself a new townhome to live in personally (Dec 2021). HOA allows short term rentals, so I thought, once I move out, I can rent this on airbnb!

For fun/money/testing purposes, I decided to rent my spare bedroom out... ITS GOING GREAT!  I'm having a lot of fun with this and learning how to manage this listing...  Which brought me to this idea.

I want a vacation home that I can use during the winter months, then rent out spring/summer/fall.  A mix use of investment and personal use...

Living in Salt Lake City, the warm cities that are drivable come to mind is St. George / Kanab / Mesquite / Las Vegas. (4-6 hours).

I've narrowed it down to 2 properties.

St. George = EXPENSIVE. 4 bed townhome brand new is going for $730k. LOTS of competition. Airdna / awning.com / simply looking at calendars on airbnb... I'm predicting $5-$7k a month.  Averaging out 8 similar townhomes, I get $6.3k a month.

$374ish x 30 days @57% occupied = $6395

Mesquite = Initially was not on my radar. Small retirement city, with 7+ golf courses. I know they have a decent amount of softball/soccer tournaments going on here (I'd imagine fall/spring time). I can get into a new 3 bed SFH for $385k. I'm predicting $4k a month. I do think adding a pool in the backyard launches me to $6k a month. Not a lot of competition here. Airdna shows extreme demand from end of September to mid April. I'll admit I am a little worried about the hot summers here... I think a pool would help me here.

$239ish x 30 days @ 56% occupied = $4015.

I'm stuck in analysis paralysis mode.  I could see myself really getting into this and buying a bunch of vacation homes to self-manage... I just don't know which one to start with.

Which would you recommend for a rookie?  Starting in an expensive city (St George) with 2500ish Airbnbs nearby, or start in a small town (Mesquite) with 150ish Airbnbs.

Thank YOU for your thoughts and advice! I really want to make this work!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied May 24 2023, 13:12

I'm up in Ogden and have looked at these markets.

When I underwrote it, the numbers didn't work well in St George.  Also be careful there, in many of the areas you have to use the city's preferred property manager (you can't self manage), which is going to be 30% of your revenue and demolish any hope of returns, so double check that on the property you're looking at.

On the flipside, St George is an awesome place and people love going there, so if you have goals outside of cashflow like appreciation or personal use it could be good to get a hold of something there.

Mesquite is interesting, we've been looking there as well. People basically go there to play golf when it's too cold up here. Less competition there for sure. My main concern would be that it may end up being a bit of a covid market, where visitation was higher than usual the last couple years with people just looking for somewhere safe to drive to when they couldn't fly, which increased STR returns in the area temporarily and drove up prices a bit. So now that people can go back to Hawaii and Europe and all that jazz, is Mesquite going to be on their radar. So probably better returns in the short term, but the question is will the market really drop off there in the near future?

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Bergren
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied May 28 2023, 08:48

I prefer St George because the economy there is a bit more well rounded whereas Mesquite is mostly a tourist town. I've never really had a hard time finding good subcontractors out of St George. Overall, there both great location for long term growth. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Bailey
  • Centerville, UT
Votes |
  • Centerville, UT
Replied May 30 2023, 12:26

I appreciate the comments. 

St George is tough.  Essentially dedicated airbnb neighborhoods, most requiring you to use the city preferred property manager (30%. Ouch).  The $730k townhome allows owners to manage... I do worry it's kind of randomly off the freeway in the middle of nowhere... 6.5% interest gets me ~$5.8k plus utilities.  My numbers seem slightly optimistic (or maybe I'm getting pessimistic) at $6.3k

I do think Dec & Jan are low months for St George (simply not enough tourism for all the airbnbs available), which would align better with me on using it during the cold months.

Mesquite simply cash flows better.  You may be right that covid helped this city temporarily... Although golfers should keep golfing.

Maybe I end up getting properties in both cities... For now, I choose Mesquite :)