Keena Santos's profile image
  • Member since Feb 26, 2023
Keena Santos
Votes |
Owners in PCB - how are you surviving upcoming slow months

Keena Santos
Posted Aug 26 2023, 00:25

Calling Owners in PCB

First time investors in Panama City beach area and experiencing slow month in august and it isn’t even the colder months yet, how do you guys manage during winter months? 

Our PM has postings up for long term discounted rentals for colder months but nothing yet. Starting to get worried if this will be the case until spring. Any experiences to share? 

Luke Carl's profile image

User Stats

Votes
Luke Carl's profile image
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tennessee Florida
Replied Aug 26 2023, 02:05

Hello and welcome! 

So, you have to have all of your August and September bookings by now. Gotta work on them early in the season. In a beach market such as PCB you hibernate. And right now being first of September already, you're a squirrel that just realized you have no food for winter. Too late -and you'll starve. So. You have to carry it with cash out of pocket.

Can you get a few stragglers between now and the end of October? You bet. Can you get a snow bird for a few months in winter? Only if it's small and inexpensive. Generally anything bigger than a 2 bedroom condo will not get a snow bird in this market.

The real problem here is that you have a PM and you're not letting them do their job. I totally understand your concern, but you have to let them do their job or you have to fire them and put it with someone else.

You do of course have the option of taking over and doing it yourself which is what most folks on this group do -but of course we realize that's not for everyone.

*There are variables involved with the above based on the size and type property.

Gotta love BP!

Trent Reeve's profile image
  • New to Real Estate
  • from Atlanta
  • Member since Jun 20, 2022

User Stats

Votes
Trent Reeve's profile image
  • New to Real Estate
  • from Atlanta
  • Member since Jun 20, 2022
Trent Reeve
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Replied Aug 26 2023, 06:22

one of the biggest things is to bank your profits from the busy season leading into the slow season. Bookings in PCB been a little slower this year, but people are also booking closer to the travel dates. Offseason, people will book very near their dates because there is more inventory available. I have no idea where your property is, but many snowbirds will be looking for water views, so if you are off the beach you will be lower on their choices. But this is what happens in a seasonal vacation place.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Michael Baum's profile image
Michael Baum
Pro Member

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum's profile image
Michael Baum
Pro Member
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Aug 26 2023, 14:13

Hey @Keena Santos, we are not in the PCB area but in north Idaho on Lake Coeur d'Alene. When Nov rolls around, we are pretty much done for the season. We have bookings in Sept and maybe we get one in Oct to ride the bike trail in the fall.

Thanksgiving then Christmas to New Years. Otherwise we are pretty much buttoned up.

Like @Trent Reeve and @Luke Carl said, you have to bank your profits to carry over until it picks up again. For use that is April/May. We are booking out now for 2024.

Wesley Myers's profile image
  • from Inlet Beach, FL
  • Member since Oct 10, 2019

User Stats

Votes
Wesley Myers's profile image
  • from Inlet Beach, FL
  • Member since Oct 10, 2019
Wesley Myers
  • Inlet Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Inlet Beach, FL
Replied Aug 26 2023, 21:44

We have 2 in PCB. We have decent rentals in Oct and Nov. last year was better but we do have some. Need to stand out from the rest. Separate yourself from everyone else with a unique addition or experience. People are still coming here during those months. 

Brooklyn McCarty's profile image
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Member since Dec 19, 2022

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty's profile image
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Member since Dec 19, 2022
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Aug 27 2023, 14:21

Welcome to your first winter season in a beach market. 

You gotta work for the winter months, months in advance and save peak revenue to cover your winter costs. 

Kyle Momany's profile image
Kyle Momany
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Destin, FL
  • Member since Jun 14, 2018

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Momany's profile image
Kyle Momany
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Destin, FL
  • Member since Jun 14, 2018
Kyle Momany
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Replied Aug 28 2023, 08:21

@Keena Santos As an agent and investor in the PCB market, winter can be difficult to get additional income. I tell everyone that 80% of your income is made between March - August. The other 20% is dependent on how you approach the off season. 

I'm not sure on the size of your property but, for the past two years we have shut our calendars off at September first and marketed it as a " month to month" or " Mid-term rental ". I recommend doing this at the end of July - early August. For us, Zillow and Furnished Finder are the two platforms we've listed it on. Both times we had tenants who were interested that paid all cash for a 6 month stay ( till March 1 ) which got us through the whole off season and ready for the following summer. If you want to message me, I'm happy to share the listing we built, rental income, etc. 

Best of luck!

John Carbone's profile image
  • from Gatlinburg
  • Member since Jun 7, 2020

User Stats

Votes
  • from Gatlinburg
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Aug 31 2023, 21:36

I’ll take a month in January/February for 1500 to keep your lights on. 

Pete Appezzato's profile image
Pete Appezzato
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Destin, FL
  • Member since Nov 12, 2019

User Stats

Votes
Pete Appezzato's profile image
Pete Appezzato
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from Destin, FL
  • Member since Nov 12, 2019
Pete Appezzato
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Destin, FL
Replied Sep 1 2023, 05:54

I 100% agree with Luke said above

Napoleon DeCiutiis's profile image
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from The Short Term Shop / Florida Emerald and Forgotten Coasts
  • Member since May 12, 2022

User Stats

Votes
Napoleon DeCiutiis's profile image
  • Real Estate Agent
  • from The Short Term Shop / Florida Emerald and Forgotten Coasts
  • Member since May 12, 2022
Napoleon DeCiutiis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Short Term Shop / Florida Emerald and Forgotten Coasts
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Short Term Shop / Florida Emerald and Forgotten Coasts
Replied Sep 6 2023, 02:30
Quote from @Keena Santos:

Calling Owners in PCB

First time investors in Panama City beach area and experiencing slow month in august and it isn’t even the colder months yet, how do you guys manage during winter months? 

Our PM has postings up for long term discounted rentals for colder months but nothing yet. Starting to get worried if this will be the case until spring. Any experiences to share? 

Agree with all above. Save for the winter!  What is the size of your rental? Can you put on Furnished Finder and rent it to a Snowbird or Traveling Nurse?  If you dont want to take the full punch on the chin, you could rent it out for a month or two at a time (make sure you do a contract) and at least stay a foot or two underwater vice Titanic depths. 

We locals are starting to run into each other again here on the Emerald Coast, so that means the crowds are starting to clear up...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 6 2023, 02:57

Calling Owners in PCB

Hi Keena, I own a property on the beach in Deerfield, FL. We are well booked from December 1st through March 31st. Just like you, though, August & September were dead. October and November have one week booking each so far, and that's it. And just like you, I'm really irritated by that, lol. But honestly, I think that is the market in FL. The snowbirds don't come down in the summer and locals don't have a need for rentals. Also, keep in mind that everyone (and I mean everyone!) went to Europe this year! So hold tight, things will turn around soon!

• from Gatlinburg

User Stats

Votes
  • from Gatlinburg
John Carbone
  • Gatlinburg
Votes |
  • Gatlinburg
Replied Sep 6 2023, 06:58
Quote from @Shirley Dimitro:

Calling Owners in PCB

Hi Keena, I own a property on the beach in Deerfield, FL. We are well booked from December 1st through March 31st. Just like you, though, August & September were dead. October and November have one week booking each so far, and that's it. And just like you, I'm really irritated by that, lol. But honestly, I think that is the market in FL. The snowbirds don't come down in the summer and locals don't have a need for rentals. Also, keep in mind that everyone (and I mean everyone!) went to Europe this year! So hold tight, things will turn around soon!

An 8 percent increase in international travel since 2019…a far cry from “everyone”