Phx income target SFHs

3 Replies

What kind of monthly income is a good target for the phoenix area (SFH)?

I'm looking at MLS homes in the $150-200k range self managed/maintained hoping for 90% occupancy.

Is there something I'm missing? or is this market just too competitive to get much income per SFH. Still very new to this so maybe I'm just dreaming.

Is it a requirement to buy cash well below market to get any sort of income right away?

Is there a better type to look at?  Condos/patio homes?  I don't want to go too far down in price to keep higher quality tenants, but being so new I'm open to better plans as mine clearly could be flawed.

I can't speak for west valley or north valley but in the east valley the returns are not looking good.  the amount inventory sub 200K is limited and questionable.  I would say the going rent to purchase is right around .6 so a 200K house rents for 1200-1300.  If you plan on taking out leverage your cashflow is going to virtually $0 in my opinion as an AC or any major repair would wipe out years off cashflow.

Originally posted by @Stone Jin :

I can't speak for west valley or north valley but in the east valley the returns are not looking good.  the amount inventory sub 200K is limited and questionable.  I would say the going rent to purchase is right around .6 so a 200K house rents for 1200-1300.  If you plan on taking out leverage your cashflow is going to virtually $0 in my opinion as an AC or any major repair would wipe out years off cashflow.

Exactly. Though I do see rent can be up to $1400 depending on the home.

I don’t know how I’m ever going to get started if I have to put 40% equity into a home just to get income. 

@Scott Anderson I would figure out what your criteria is for investing.  For example, ours is $400 cashflow, 10% cash on cash return, house must be something we would feel safe living in ourselves.  I can't find that in Phoenix anymore so I stopped acquiring in Phoenix.  I'm currently investing out of state where I can meet those criteria.

You can spend money to buy cashflow but if that is the case why not just buy a note.  You don't have the downside risks or upside benefits, you maybe can get 7-10% on your money all passively.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here