California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Mattian Tad
Votes |
Los Angeles ADU design cost

Mattian Tad
Posted May 9 2020, 10:43
Hello All!! I am planning to build a 1200 sq. ft. detached ADU in Los Angeles ( boarder to Culver City) and I spoke with few Architects and their price is very different, the lowest was 8k and the highest 20K not included engineer or title 24. I would greatly appreciate if you share your cost for Architect and Engineer. And secondly, how much was your permit fees if you got your permit this year, lastly does anyone recommend their Architect and engineer please? Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Lily Kerrigan Bergmann
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 9 2020, 16:00

There's also a ton of pre-fab companies that do ADU's, which includes the cost of design and construction in one, like Connect-Homes and LivingHomes (they are pricier). Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Hai G.
  • Investor
  • San Mateo, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Mateo, CA
Replied May 9 2020, 17:38

In Bay Area all-in architect fee for me to build a detached ADU (800 sq. ft.) was $12K (inclusive of engineering and title 24). Permit fees total were roughly $5K. Hope this provides a reference from another expensive area in CA. More detailed breakdown below.

https://infinitesabbatical.com/adu-permit-process-and-fees-5-step-guide/

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mattian Tad
Votes |
Replied May 10 2020, 10:27
Originally posted by @Lily Kerrigan Bergmann:

There's also a ton of pre-fab companies that do ADU's, which includes the cost of design and construction in one, like Connect-Homes and LivingHomes (they are pricier). Good luck!

Yes I have considered them but they are  way pricier!! 

User Stats

Votes
Lily Kerrigan Bergmann
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 10 2020, 13:09
Originally posted by @Mattian Tad:
Originally posted by @Lily Kerrigan Bergmann:

Yes I have considered them but they are  way pricier!! 

Yes, that tends to happen at any firm that has more overhead (i.e. employees). My last though is Office of Mobile Design (OMD), but they might also be pretty pricey. Otherwise, you'll want to find a sole proprietor architect who is working out of their home. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Larson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied May 13 2020, 08:45

FYI - The City of San Jose has some pre-approved plans with these 2 private companies.I wouldn't be surprised if LA or other jurisdictions started doing this too.

https://abodu.com/

www.prefabadu.com

User Stats

Votes
Steven Hong
  • Rental Property Investor
  • CA (orange county)
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • CA (orange county)
Replied May 15 2020, 22:45

@Mattian Tad hey there! Send me a PM I may be able

To help you with this.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 7 2020, 23:21

Just came across United Dwelling which only has 1 ADU option (studio) but it's about $88k and they do all the work from getting the permit to even managing the tenants (if you go with that option). Have been trying to figure out options for ADU myself.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Dashevsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Aug 8 2020, 09:16

I've seen it cost between $6-15k depending on the complexity/etc.  I have a list of our 'approved' vendors...DM me if you'd like a copy. Thx.

User Stats

Votes
Mario Arellano
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 4 2020, 16:27

We built an ADU in San Diego a year ago and we hired a drafter who specialized in ADU designs. His total fee was approximately $6.5K and the permit fees were $2.7K. I made the mistake of assuming a cost of $150/SF for construction and we originally had a 2 story design (1,200 SF). Once I began getting price quotes from contractors, the cost was $275-$350 per SF. Eventually, we ended up paying $300 per SF for construction. We also reduced the SF of the ADU to 499 SF. We paid cash for the construction and the 499 SF was b/c we would not have to pay additional fees to the city (ie. sewer cap, school, etc).

I'd like to do it again, but this time, I'd do the following:

1.  Use one of the pre-approved designs that are available from local cities and make sure that my city will approve their pre-designs.

2.  Pay a contractor for his/her time to review the plans and provide a more accurate estimate.  I noticed that when I asked for quotes, many contractors didn't want to take the time to provide a detailed line item estimate and I understood why.  

3. I should have done more research from the City on how their fees are determined and what fees are triggered based on the size of the ADU.

If you'd like to know more, you can send me a message.   

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 11 2020, 08:23

I agree with those who have said this should be in the 8-12k range plus permits. I've worked on several ADU projects and the design, architecture, engineering costs have netted out in that range. Hope that helps!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 21 2020, 20:16

Mario: is that ground-up ADU or conversion?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Carlson
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Glendora, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Glendora, CA
Replied Nov 24 2020, 11:01

@Mattian Tad I just got a bid for $3,500 with title 24 and engineering. ADU size - 1100 sqft. I'm meeting with the architect today actually.

If you need a referral let me know, I've worked with him in the past. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 16 2020, 13:05
Originally posted by @Brandon Carlson:

@Mattian Tad I just got a bid for $3,500 with title 24 and engineering. ADU size - 1100 sqft. I'm meeting with the architect today actually.

Brandon, if you can please provide me a referral I would appreciate it.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Gettler
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Dec 27 2020, 22:21

@Flavio Guzman Magana

3,500 for plans, engineering and title 24 is too cheap. Your contractor is only as good as your design team and engineer. You may think you are saving now but there are so many instances I’m glad I pay my engineer $3,000 alone as he saves me $15,000 in construction costs. The plans are cheap relative to the construction costs. I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t go cheap on the pre-construction. If you want to save money then save it on the flooring, tile, doors, etc. When you try to save it on design and engineering it’s my experience you pay more in construction and you don’t even know it because you don’t know how to read engineering. Sorry to be blunt but I hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Maria Velasquez
  • Investor
  • Montebello, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Montebello, CA
Replied Feb 13 2023, 05:42
Quote from @Brandon Carlson:

Greetings,
Did you go through with architect? Would you recommend? I’m in the market for ADU floor plans in the city of Downey. If possible could you refer?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 13 2023, 09:32
Quote from @Maria Velasquez:
Quote from @Brandon Carlson:

Greetings,
Did you go through with architect? Would you recommend? I’m in the market for ADU floor plans in the city of Downey. If possible could you refer?

I'm an L.A. architect and primarily do ADU's these days. Many designers and architects quote a low price but it doesn't include working with the city to get your permit, which is primarily what you need. And, I've had clients come to me with half-baked plans from others that would never pass code. However, you can benefit you're comfortable and willing to work directly with the building department, bureau of engineering, etc.