• New to Real Estate
  • Winona
Votes |
LLC question and new investor inroduction

Reed Olson
  • New to Real Estate
  • Winona
Posted May 3 2023, 16:23

Hi! My name is Reed Olson and my parents recently purchased three single family properties in Winona MN all directly next to each other and I am managing them since I work here. My question is first, they have formed one LLC and will that entity offer enough protections for all three properties or should they open three separate LLC's. Second I'm planning on buying one from them next year and house hacking it. Would it be better to purchase a separate property to house hack so they can have a larger investment portfolio or to buy it from them to maybe keep it less risky and more simple since I already know the property?

Thank you I hope the questions made sense! 

User Stats

Votes
Tom S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burlington, VT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Burlington, VT
Replied May 3 2023, 16:31

@Reed Olson  Welcome to BP! Both of those questions are probably best suited to an attorney and a CPA / financial advisor that knows yours and your parents finances.  They would be in the best position to offer sound advice.

Good luck and congrats on the recent purchases!

User Stats

Votes
Nick Buonanno
  • Maine
Votes |

Everyone has different opinions on the LLC question. My take on it is that one LLC and an umbrella insurance policy should offer all the protection you need. As far as your second question goes, that really comes down to what you're comfortable with. If it were me, I would look for a separate property, preferably a duplex, to house hack.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Vicki X.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 3 2023, 18:20

It's a trade off between risk mitigation vs. cost (monetary and complexity). The benefit of 3LLCs is probably marginal, assuming the property values of those SFRs aren't very high.  

On house hacking -- do your parents plan to sell? :D 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Replied May 3 2023, 18:24

Nice to see a fellow Midwesterner on the forums! When you purchase from your parents, purchase in 1 LLC. I like to have 10 properties maximum in an LLC or $1M maximum. If the owners and strategy is the same, you can stick to the same LLC. I absolutely agree with @Nick Buonanno's umbrella policy recommendation. That is more important than having it in an LLC.

House hacking happens when you live in the property and rent out another part of it. Are you planning to do this with one of the houses? It would be easier to purchase one of your parents' properties to do this but definitely not a huge difference to buy another one. 

User Stats

Votes
Meredith Mihm
Pro Member
  • Winona MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Winona MN
Replied May 3 2023, 19:16

I'm in Winona too! Welcome. Did your parents buy those three houses on Grand street?

User Stats

Votes
Reed Olson
  • New to Real Estate
  • Winona
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Winona
Replied May 3 2023, 19:28

Yes they did 

User Stats

Votes
Blake Peterson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied May 9 2023, 22:29

Hi Reed! Congrats on getting started, managing properties is a great experience. I managed a couple hundred doors for awhile and learned tons. Feel free to reach out with any questions.