User Stats

Votes
Leardini Alex
Votes |
Hello from Switzerland!

Leardini Alex
Posted Jul 17 2019, 01:15

Hello everybody!

I came to say hi from Switzerland, even though I’m originally from Verona, Italy!

First of all, thank you very much for all the great content you provide!

About me, I’m a beginner investor. My first deal was a Studio in Cancun, Mexico (easier for me since my wife is Mexican) which I’ll be using for vacation rental (paid in cash).

However, I now believe I could have used those money wiser and that’s why I would like to partner with somebody from BiggerPockets. Luckily, it costed me what me and my wife can save in less than a year but we are now ready for other investing adventures!

I’m 27 but both me and my wife have good salaries in Switzerland which makes us have great spending power in other countries!

I would like to ask if you guys believe it would be easy for me to invest in USA where the numbers makes a lot of sense? I’m very interested in a multifamily property , and looking forward to partner up with someone from BiggerPockets to be my eyes and ears on site!

Thank you and hope to meet as many people as possible! 😄

Alex

User Stats

Votes
Alina Trigub
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Replied Jul 17 2019, 08:23

@Leardini Alex 

Welcome to BP community! 

To answer your question, there have been a lot of posts in the past asking the very same question. Search through them and you'll be able to connect with other foreigners investing in US. 

One thing you need to learn more about is FIRPTA taxes, you also need a CPA well versed on the topic. 

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Dominick Austria
  • Accountant
  • Las Vegas
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Las Vegas
Replied Jul 17 2019, 08:54

@Leardini Alex @Alina Trigub Alina is correct. You will need to obtain an ITIN to invest in the US. You will be obligated to file US taxes each year on the rental property or the K-1 you receive. When the property sales you may be subject to FIRPTA withholding which can be up to 15%. You should find a good CPA that deals with foreign investors.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes