Help!! Buying my first home with my fiancé

3 Replies

So just to give you guys some background on my situation. I am 25 and work full time making 60-70k net per year. Thing is my job is mostly commission so I really only make 14.50/hr. Now I have been there for a year and have met my goal of min 5k/month just commission every month so far but I still hate including that money to my budget. My fiancé is also full time making 19/hr however she will be starting her own businesses soon and is hoping to bring in more. I am confident in her ability and can confidently say she will be making around 30-40k per year net. That all said we have been approved for an FHA loan of up to 320k. 3.5% down is about 11k and the area I live in isn't real expensive. I only have about $30k saved and that Willa be including my money down. Our total monthly mortgage will be $1800-2000. Currently we are almost debt free. I have 3% car loan with about 3500 left and the payment isn't only 180/month. Our current rent for a 1Br Apt 1350/Month. Our total monthly bills equal $3000/month right now now. With the house we can expect it to be closer to $3700/month. I live in Gilbert Az and I'm looking looking to stay in this city but all the money all houses are over 300k. I want to start investing in real estate and other potential opportunities so I can am become financially free but if I lock my self down to thuan mortgages will it set m back? Also is Gilbert even a good place to start investing? I need help

First off, do not change jobs or start your own business until after this is done! Any changes to income can kill your ability to borrow because banks want to see stability.

Second, every market is a good market to invest. It just depends on the deal and your goals. This is a question we can't answer for you without knowing more about you, your goals, the specific properties you're looking at, etc.

Third, you guys are young, without kids (I assume), and ambitious. If you want to live like no one else does, you need to live like no one else does! Find an asset that leverages your money to produce real wealth. Here's an example:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/102-N-Beverly_Mesa_AZ_85201_M22263-73686?view=qv

I haven't done any research on this property or your market. However, this property will give you four rentals in what appears to be a great location, surrounded by single-family homes and across from a public park. You can live in one unit and rent the other units out for $1,000+ a month which should cover your mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc. You can live there very cheap, possibly free. Instead of paying $1,350 a month, save it up for a year. Then find another four-plex and do it again. Now you can rent out all four units in the first building and cash-flow $1,000 or more and still live cheap or free in the new unit. After another year, you can move to a single-family home. You'll own two fourplexes and have enough cash flow to allow you to live in a nice single-family with very little money out of pocket.

Again, general numbers but it's a proven concept. Study the market, crunch the numbers, live different so you can live different.

@Srdjan Ilic Take @Nathan G. advice. Do a classic house hack. There are numerous post about it. If I was to start over that is what I would do. House hacking is the cheapest entry into investment real estate. With dp of 5% or less. You can buy up to 5 properties for the same amount of cash conventionally. Most   require 20-25% down.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here