• San Francisco, CA
Votes |
New, moving to San Francisco, CA

Baptiste P.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Nov 18 2019, 23:54

Hi everyone!

Super excited to be moving to the USA, in San Francisco, CA with my wife and daughter.

I'm currently living in Dublin, Ireland - been living there for the last 3 years, acquired 1 property. (2bed apartment)

I grew up in France, have 1 property over there as well. (3bed house)

I started my real estate journey 4 years ago when I bought a house in France, I was supposed to live in it but decided to move to Ireland so we ended up renting it out. The ROI on this property isn't great because it wasn't a rental investment in the first place, but ended up renting it as it was more interesting than selling it.

We then bought a property in Dublin, Ireland - 2bed apartment that we will rent out when we'll live to the USA. This time we bought, refurbished, with in mind that we'd be renting it out at some stage, so the ROI is positive!

I like buying, refurbishing and then renting it out, that's what we do best with my wife and we actually like it.

I'd like to continue on this path in the Bay Area and will start looking at investing as soon as I arrive in January, most likely in the East Bay as I'll be working in San Francisco and my wife too!

I'm looking forward to connecting with people on the forum and in the bay area!

Baptiste

User Stats

Votes
Anthoney Hanks
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Forney, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Forney, TX
Replied Nov 19 2019, 19:45

Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Good luck going forward!! 😁 Hope the best for you!! Sounds like you need to be teaching some classes. Hope the best for you in the Bay Area.

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 20 2019, 00:36
Originally posted by @Anthoney Hanks:

Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Good luck going forward!! 😁 Hope the best for you!! Sounds like you need to be teaching some classes. Hope the best for you in the Bay Area.

Thanks a lot Anthoney! What do you mean by " Sounds like you need to be teaching some classes" ?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Anthoney Hanks
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Forney, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Forney, TX
Replied Nov 20 2019, 05:34

@Baptiste PichonJust saying you have some rental properties. You have been through some of the process. Plus, these properties are in Europe so you can help others with that aspect. Good luck!! Share your knowledge!!

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 20 2019, 05:56
Originally posted by @Anthoney Hanks:

@Baptiste PichonJust saying you have some rental properties. You have been through some of the process. Plus, these properties are in Europe so you can help others with that aspect. Good luck!! Share your knowledge!!

Ah cheers, I will indeed!

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 27 2019, 06:05

Just adding here that I'm looking to connect with people in the bay area to share & learn, would also love to get your POV on the bay area market and where it's heading. As i'll arrive in the bay area I'll first be looking at buying my own place then looking directly in rental investments. Also looking for partners to leverage & combine knowledge and skills!

Cheers all

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Replied Nov 27 2019, 08:56

Welcome to the Bay Area! We also have a Dublin out here about 30 miles East of San Francisco :-)

User Stats

Votes
Terry Lao
  • Professional
  • Anaheim, CA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Anaheim, CA
Replied Nov 27 2019, 12:41

Be prepared for price, culture, and traffic shock!

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Milpitas, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Milpitas, CA
Replied Nov 27 2019, 16:29

Hi @Baptiste P., welcome to the US! The East Bay has a lot of potential, I know a lot of people buying properties in Oakland and Hayward as buy and hold rentals. Of course, there are also a score of people who are making 7 figures a year flipping homes in the area. There's a lot of opportunity here! Join a few of the amazing meetup groups in the area and expand your network! 

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 28 2019, 00:54
Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

Welcome to the Bay Area! We also have a Dublin out here about 30 miles East of San Francisco :-)

Yeah I know, will prob move from Dublin to Dublin :)

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 28 2019, 00:54
Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

Be prepared for price, culture, and traffic shock!

Oh yeah I'm aware of this, looking forward though!

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 28 2019, 00:55
Originally posted by @Account Closed

Hey Sean, thanks a lot for your message, will be looking at buy & hold as a more passive and long term strategy. Would you have meetup links to recommend me? Or any specific persons I could meet? Cheers!

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Milpitas, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Milpitas, CA
Replied Nov 28 2019, 11:11

Happy Thanksgiving @Baptiste P.! I think BiggerPockets has a rule against posting links directly in the forums. You can go to "Meetup . com" to look for local real estate groups. My friend @Brenda Chen hosts an amazing group in SF twice a month. You can also go to the "Network" tab at the top of the page and click on "Events" to see any events near you. Let me know if you have any questions!

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 28 2019, 11:31
Originally posted by @Account Closed

Cool thanks Sean, I will! 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Dec 1 2019, 08:00
Originally posted by @Baptiste P.:

Hi everyone!

Super excited to be moving to the USA, in San Francisco, CA with my wife and daughter.

I'm currently living in Dublin, Ireland - been living there for the last 3 years, acquired 1 property. (2bed apartment)

I grew up in France, have 1 property over there as well. (3bed house)

I started my real estate journey 4 years ago when I bought a house in France, I was supposed to live in it but decided to move to Ireland so we ended up renting it out. The ROI on this property isn't great because it wasn't a rental investment in the first place, but ended up renting it as it was more interesting than selling it.

We then bought a property in Dublin, Ireland - 2bed apartment that we will rent out when we'll live to the USA. This time we bought, refurbished, with in mind that we'd be renting it out at some stage, so the ROI is positive!

I like buying, refurbishing and then renting it out, that's what we do best with my wife and we actually like it.

I'd like to continue on this path in the Bay Area and will start looking at investing as soon as I arrive in January, most likely in the East Bay as I'll be working in San Francisco and my wife too!

I'm looking forward to connecting with people on the forum and in the bay area!

Baptiste

Welcome to the site Baptiste.

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Dec 1 2019, 08:09

@James Wise

Thanks James!

User Stats

Votes
Brenda Chen
  • Lender
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Dec 10 2019, 12:55

Thanks for the mention, @Account Closed!!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Gouveia
  • Santa Clara, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Clara, CA
Replied Dec 10 2019, 13:08

Welcome @Baptiste P., from another fellow newb on BP in the Bay Area. 

Challenge of the East/South bay is the price of entry and number of players makes it challenging to spot opportunities. Prices seem to be pretty maxed out in most markets anecdotally at this time. Sounds like you've got plenty of experience, best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Dec 12 2019, 01:05
Originally posted by @Brenda Chen:

Thanks for the mention, @Account Closed!!

Sure thing, I'll look them up early next year and will most certainly attend one!

User Stats

Votes
Baptiste P.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Dec 12 2019, 01:07
Originally posted by @Chris Gouveia:

Welcome @Baptiste P., from another fellow newb on BP in the Bay Area. 

Challenge of the East/South bay is the price of entry and number of players makes it challenging to spot opportunities. Prices seem to be pretty maxed out in most markets anecdotally at this time. Sounds like you've got plenty of experience, best of luck!

Thanks a lot Chris for your message and sharing your point of view. Looking forward to see how the market really is and how it evolves in the next year or so, time for me to start building credit score and analyse properties to invest most likely in 2021. Also considering house hacking at this stage, can't wait! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Gouveia
  • Santa Clara, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Clara, CA
Replied Dec 12 2019, 14:34

@Baptiste P. best of luck!