VA loan for first househack. How bout deal #2?

VA loan for first househack. How bout deal #2?

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Greetings fellow BP members!

I’m 25, new to the financial independence community, and excited I found BP. After 3 months of study and research, I have chosen my initial RE investment strategy. Constructive criticism is welcome.

I will use my VA home loan to househack a small multi-family (2-4 units) or single family (3-4 bedrooms). The cash flow and location will dictate this decision. This will be a distressed property with a mortgage I can comfortably afford with my own income. I will use the cash I have saved to rehab it, significantly raising the ARV. I intend to live in this property for at least a year before purchasing my next. At this point, I could use some advice. What financing do you recommend for this second househack? 1) Use the remainder of my VA loan (up to $400k), 2) conventional 20% down, 3) low money down owner-occupied loan, or any others I am missing? Please explain your recommendation.

For clarity, I’m using the buy and hold strategy to work up to $3900/month of passive income from RE. I enjoy my career and intend to stay in it until retirement at around 55 yrs old. 

Thanks to all who contribute!

Houston

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Surf City, NC · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 597 votes
    6y

    Have you purchased your first home yet? Your strategy sounds solid but it is just words on a page without action. 

    If you live in the first home long enough, you could look at refinancing into a conventional loan to get all your VA entitlement back for your second purchase. Good luck and get after it!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Sean McDonnell

    Not yet. I am attending a 6 month law enforcement academy and will be relocating for at least 1 year somewhere within Texas. I will know this location within the next 4-6 weeks. Once I do, I will begin searching that market and nearby markets for deals. After this initial 1 year relocation requirement, I will have much more control over the area I reside.

    Is the same general rule of thumb of 20% equity in the property required to refinance applied to VA loans? Thanks for the tip.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.