Skip to content
Off Topic

User Stats

Votes

Permits for moving a mobile home from one lot to another lot which had a home before

Posted Mar 28 2024, 16:56

I am considering moving a mobile home from one lot to another in a mobile home community within the city of Edmonton, AB. The new lot has existing utility infrastructure and have had a mobile home in place before.  I contacted the city of Edmonton and was informed that moving a mobile home is treated the same as building a new home, and all the following applies:

Development Permit Application

Combined Building, Mechanical Permit

Building & Mech Safety Codes

Wiring Electrical Permit

Underground Service Cable Permit

Electrical Safety Codes

Construction Water Rates 44¢/$1000 Construction Value

Sanitary Sewer Trunk Charge

Lot Grading Fee

To my knowledge, unlike a new home, all we would be doing is reconnecting the infrastructure, and considering that no modifications are to be made to the existing plumbing, electrical, sewer or the lot itself, so do all those permits apply?  If not, which permits are applicable to the moving of the mobile home and reconnecting the utility infrastructure?

I am thinking that other than the utility infrastructure reconnections, everything else such as the lot grading, sewer, plumbing, electrical, underground service cable, building and mech safety codes have been inspected when the lot and the mobile home were first put into service, and we won't be using any construction water either.

Please shed some light, and thank you in advance ...

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Mar 28 2024, 18:10

I don't think we can give you the definitive answer here. What the city told you was most likely true, but you can always ask for a variance if you think that some of the requirements are already in place.

But most likely the required new inspections are necessary because it's a new dwelling and the old utilities must be up to new codes.....

Just my guess.....

User Stats

Votes
Stevo Sun
  • Calgary, AB
Votes |
  • Calgary, AB
Replied Mar 28 2024, 18:34
Quote from @Wai-Lin William Maw:

I am considering moving a mobile home from one lot to another in a mobile home community within the city of Edmonton, AB. The new lot has existing utility infrastructure and have had a mobile home in place before.  I contacted the city of Edmonton and was informed that moving a mobile home is treated the same as building a new home, and all the following applies:

Development Permit Application

Combined Building, Mechanical Permit

Building & Mech Safety Codes

Wiring Electrical Permit

Underground Service Cable Permit

Electrical Safety Codes

Construction Water Rates 44¢/$1000 Construction Value

Sanitary Sewer Trunk Charge

Lot Grading Fee

To my knowledge, unlike a new home, all we would be doing is reconnecting the infrastructure, and considering that no modifications are to be made to the existing plumbing, electrical, sewer or the lot itself, so do all those permits apply?  If not, which permits are applicable to the moving of the mobile home and reconnecting the utility infrastructure?

I am thinking that other than the utility infrastructure reconnections, everything else such as the lot grading, sewer, plumbing, electrical, underground service cable, building and mech safety codes have been inspected when the lot and the mobile home were first put into service, and we won't be using any construction water either.

Please shed some light, and thank you in advance ...

If you call the city and they gave you those requirements then that's probably right. They make the rules so I don't think you can get services with out the inspections.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Mar 28 2024, 20:22

@Wai-Lin William Maw You may want to talk to some experienced park managers and owners in the area who have done the same thing. Also, talking to local mobile home dealerships may give you some insight into the process and more information. 

As a mobile home investor myself, I find that talking to people who work in the business has helped me many times in the past when it comes to due diligence, market research and referrals. 

Hope that helps!