Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Washington Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Unique situation in Vancouver

Travis Athougies
Posted

My parents are getting older and want to move into a home closer to us. We live in Portland, but because of the tax consequences of no income tax, they would prefer to remain in Washington. They currently live in rural Washington, but want to move to Vancouver to be closer to grand kids and us.

I am supportive of this, but because my brother lives far away, and the reality that the house they buy here will end up being given to my wife and I when they die, they want to split the proceeds from their current home with my brother, which I am in support of.

That leaves them around $350k to buy a house. At the same time, I want to get started in real estate in the local area, and due to Oregon's laws, I'd rather start in Vancouver. I proposed to my parents, that, instead of buying an SFH, we jointly buy a duplex or home with an ADU in Vancouver, expand their budget a bit, and use their cash out from their home as down payment, while I pay the mortgage on the new home. We'll rent out the ADU / other unit, and take the income, which my parents are happy to give to us. My dad used to be a real estate agent and property manager, and would manage the property for day-to-day issues (he's excited to do this -- he's always wanted to own a rental). My parents are happy that they will give my wife and I a source of income when it eventually becomes fully ours. I am happy to get started in real estate while having the help of my dad.

So, now I'm in the market looking for a home with an ADU or a duplex with limited shared walls (parents need single story for old age) in Vancouver. I see lots of such listings in Portland, but not as many in Vancouver. With the new arrangement, I'd be willing to go up to 550k. We'd also be interested in a house with an easy-to-add extra unit, such as a large lot, above garage addition, etc.

Are these easy to find in Vancouver? Does this seem like a sensible plan? Does anyone have recommendations for agents in Vancouver? Thanks for the tips.

Travis

Loading replies...