User Stats

Votes
Alex Brown
Votes |
Direct Mail - Offer Strategy

Alex Brown
Posted Jan 2 2023, 07:30

Looking for input!

For Direct Offers, who has experience using this method with Postcards as opposed to an enveloped letter?

My plan is to use postcards that have the direct, cash offer on them and other marketing info to draw the seller in. It will direct them to my site where they can simply click to accept offer, which then I can do further due diligence and send out a Purchase Agreement. Of course my other information (email, phone) will be on the postcard, but ideally they go right to my site for a response.

Thoughts??

User Stats

Votes
Dave Passey
  • Investor
  • Missoula, MT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Missoula, MT
Replied Jan 2 2023, 20:06

I guess I would wonder how you are getting your cash offer values to put on the postcards. Or are you sending out so few postcards that you are actually calculating it out first? My thought would be that you are potentially setting yourself up for failure because you are either just giving them a low number so they won't call because you have no relationship with them, or they do call because the offer is high and they think their place is bad. You could likely still get some deals in there, but I don't think putting unassessed offers out there is typically a good idea. Makes it hard to make changes to the price later. 

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jan 3 2023, 10:46

@Alex Brown

Making an offer on a house that gets accepted can be challenging in a competitive market when demand for homes outweighs supply.
Getting preapproved for a mortgage can help to strengthen your offer and signal to sellers that you're serious about buying.
A trusted real estate agent can draft and submit your offer on your behalf and negotiate the details with the seller's agent.
When making an offer on a home, it's important to keep your budget firmly in sight to avoid paying more for a house than you can realistically afford.

All the best!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alex Brown
Votes |
Replied Jan 3 2023, 10:52

@Wale Lawal

Thanks for the response.  I should have been more detailed in my posting.  I am focusing on Raw Land and targeting off market deals by building my mailer lists from the Delinquent Tax Lists. 

There's ton of thoughts/info out there and generally mailers seem to fall into 3 categories for this.  1) General Letters 2) Postcards 3) Blind offer letters.

Just trying to see if anyone has ever gone with the "blind" offer route using postcards instead of an enveloped letter format. 

User Stats

Votes
Jenell Poncabare
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jan 5 2023, 08:13

@Alex Brown Good question about putting a blind offer on a postcard. I would say do a test run of the postcards vs letters and see which one gets a better response.

If you are open to other ideas: 
How big is the list? Based upon your list type, delinquent tax lists, I would mail them an offer in the form of a letter and follow up with a phone call. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Brown
Votes |
Replied Jan 5 2023, 08:22

@Jenell Poncabare Thanks for the response!  My plan is actually to do a test run so I hope to be able to report back, but thought I would ask others as I haven't seen anyone (yet) that put an actual (tentative of course) offer on a postcard.

My mailer list will be a combination of parcels that 1) have been more researched, so I feel comfortable putting a quote based on Market Value from Assessor lists, comps from recent sales, etc. and 2) those with less data available - these wont get a "quote" postcard but a more neutral message. 

This first mailer will be about 300. ~100 quotes and ~200 general. 

User Stats

Votes
Jenell Poncabare
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jan 5 2023, 09:44
Quote from @Alex Brown:

@Jenell Poncabare Thanks for the response!  My plan is actually to do a test run so I hope to be able to report back, but thought I would ask others as I haven't seen anyone (yet) that put an actual (tentative of course) offer on a postcard.

My mailer list will be a combination of parcels that 1) have been more researched, so I feel comfortable putting a quote based on Market Value from Assessor lists, comps from recent sales, etc. and 2) those with less data available - these wont get a "quote" postcard but a more neutral message. 

Very cool! Yes, keep us posted on the thread so we can follow along. Happy New Year!

User Stats

Votes
Alex Brown
Votes |
Replied Jan 5 2023, 19:25
Quote from @Jenell Poncabare:
Quote from @Alex Brown:

Very cool! Yes, keep us posted on the thread so we can follow along. Happy New Year!

Thank you and will definitely provide updates!