Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Frishman
  • Ridgefield, CT
Votes |
Co-Sharing/ Shared housing

Andrew Frishman
  • Ridgefield, CT
Posted

I own a 1 year old SFR..

I don't live in home but want to rent it out to two tenants.

Considering marketing on Co-sharing sites ...so two tenants can live / split rent etc..

I believe I heard a podcast (can't remember) on BP regarding best sites to market post my property for Co habitating
Love to hear some feedback from the forum.

Andrew

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

@Andrew Frishman, Facebook marketplace, Zillow, Apartments.com, etc. Just make sure to explicitly state in the listing description that the property is rent per room. Other co-living platforms will market your property and place tenants, but with only two prospective tenants it shouldn't be that hard to manage. Honestly sounds like a great opportunity for the tenants. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Davidson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied

@Andrew Frishman this is renting by the room. However if the two tenants know each other why not just one lease both tenants on it both liable for entire rent amount how they split it is up to them as long as you get you money.

Best of luck!

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

Not sure what the restrictions are over in TX but for Seattle, WA homeowners can build ADU and DADU within the house and backyard they have so try checking your zoning of your house and see what is the max limit you can build. Worst case just demo your house and create a separate entry door for your another tenant

@Albert Bui @Carlos Valencia

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Nguyen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

I would just go by marketing through the typical routes. Facebook marketplace, Cragslist, zillow, even Airbnb. Just make sure in the description you mention that it is a "rent by the room" and they will be sharing common spaces. As long as you are transparent up front, there won't be an issue.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I'm curious about this strategy as well.  I was thinking of furnishing the common areas, kitchen, bathrooms etc.  Is it a good idea to furnish the rooms or let them bring in their own furnishings?  I would assume you can charge more if the entire house is furnished, but thought it might open it up to more people if they can bring in their own items.  Thanks in advance for your input.