Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Who is investing in their own physical health?

Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Posted Aug 21 2023, 07:00

So for the last year or so, I have been thinking more about physical health. I’ll be 50 in less than a year.
Overall I do not personally know any active, long-term investors that actually smoke. Maybe they are there I just don’t know them. I do know quite a number of investors that drink. I personally quit drinking many years ago for faith based reasons not necessarily physical. Of course, it has more than likely had a positive physical impact.  There are topics on generational wealth, etc. etc. so people are definitely thinking about the future.  I feel like the folks that are getting a little older should think serious about it.
I recently started riding my bike around the block and a few times going bike riding with a friend. Very amateurish as far as skill level and endurance, but it is a start. I have not been getting donuts from the donut shop or drinking soda. I’m not preparing for a marathon or nothing like that but I’m starting to think more about health. 
I’m not starting  this post from a vanity stand point. We’re not talking about getting in shape so we can wear tight shirts and show off  our body. I’m talking about getting in better Health so we can enjoy life longer and be a blessing to society longer.

Anyone have any experience, encouragement, pointers, or comments?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 31 2023, 20:50
Quote from @Brady Mullen:
Quote from @Joe S.:
Quote from @Brady Mullen:
Quote from @Joe S.:if we all didn't already know that...

moderation doesnt work for lot of people including me as sugar installs those craving in the brain.

last time I ate donut and rice maybe Q1 2016, last beer maybe summer 2001 LOL

what is funny is when these substance enter the body I can feel it create havoc inside the body after 28 minutes. LOL 

Truly when 50 Years old has feeling of 25 years old again, skipping donut is the easiest one to do.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 31 2023, 20:52
Quote from @Loren Clive:

daily meditation, chocolate and working out. Eat whole foods but treat yourself once in a while. Get plenty of sleep. Have as much sex as possible. No excuses!

And live in Hawaii LOL

Most centenarian is living in island as well , like Okinawa.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Castleman
  • Wholesaler
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 1 2023, 08:02

Everyday or just about!

5-7 workouts a week for the last 11 years!

User Stats

Votes
Yasser Rodriguez
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Miami, FL
Replied Oct 7 2023, 03:50

@Joe S.

As a Cardiologist, this really hits home and is something I feel passionate about.

Regardless of your approach. You’re going to have to find your “Why?” And as my mentor always said, “you’ll never find time, you make time.”

A great investment for me was a treadmill that I use religiously for cardio Monday to Friday, an hour at a time, for one hour.

I treat it like a job since I’m 40 with young kids.

I commend you and happy to help in any way - stopping smoking is an incredible move.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Oct 7 2023, 09:12
Quote from @Yasser Rodriguez:

I treat it like a job since I’m 40 with young kids.

And this is the key. I did Personal Training for a number of years and found that the largest hurdle for people was their inability to pick a time for themselves and stick to it. Everyone had their excuses, and plenty of them,....yet they would come to the gym and stand around and socialize and waste time every day. Basically, most people just do not want to exercise, it's that plain and simple....

It has to be a priority, a life or death type of priority... or it will never become the habit that it needs to become.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Williams
Lender
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Oct 10 2023, 13:23

I am 48, and have worked out since I was 15, so for me it is a lifestyle. At the end of 2021 I started intermittent fasting as well. I have an 8 and 4 year old, run a business, and believe in longevity. My workouts have evolved. I am doing dumbbell workouts and Peloton workouts. I also get soft tissue work done. I don't drink much, if I do it is a nice scotch or glass of wine. I meditate and believe in self-care as well. Great post my friend, thanks for sharing. 

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Nov 4 2023, 22:40

I’m 52 and try to run 3 or 4x’s/week and do at least one marathon a year to keep the heart pumping. My diet isn’t great, but good enough. Lol

User Stats

Votes
Steven Wesolowski
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 14 2023, 07:00
Quote from @Joe S.:

So for the last year or so, I have been thinking more about physical health. I’ll be 50 in less than a year.
Overall I do not personally know any active, long-term investors that actually smoke. Maybe they are there I just don’t know them. I do know quite a number of investors that drink. I personally quit drinking many years ago for faith based reasons not necessarily physical. Of course, it has more than likely had a positive physical impact.  There are topics on generational wealth, etc. etc. so people are definitely thinking about the future.  I feel like the folks that are getting a little older should think serious about it.
I recently started riding my bike around the block and a few times going bike riding with a friend. Very amateurish as far as skill level and endurance, but it is a start. I have not been getting donuts from the donut shop or drinking soda. I’m not preparing for a marathon or nothing like that but I’m starting to think more about health. 
I’m not starting  this post from a vanity stand point. We’re not talking about getting in shape so we can wear tight shirts and show off  our body. I’m talking about getting in better Health so we can enjoy life longer and be a blessing to society longer.

I just got back from overseas, and while I know I am not at the same age as you, sir, I have discovered the absolute importance of allocating exercise times to the daily schedule now that I am in the civilian world full-time. Physical fitness requirements steadily increase due to needs of the Army's combat readiness, and the filth and glutton effects in our country's obesity numbers continue to climb, along with increased awareness and initiatives to lower numbers ( since we all love numbers!). But anyways, literally 8 months ago, I had the physical fitness working for me while stationed out in the desert, and crushing the physical fitness tests. But, as soon as I got back and on was on leave for 2 months, and now doing real estate, I immediately get exposure to more sugar in the office day in day out. It's a challenge. However, the cool thing about accountability with colleagues aiming for the same desires, is that I have been able to comfortably find time to either jog or walk outside DAILY, even if it's just for 10 minutes, not even caring how far I go or how I fast I run. The cool thing too, is that after just a month, it becomes routine, your mental agility stays in tact, and now you are able to crush anything in your way (so to speak). The bottom line is you're only investing time into fitness, being able to squeeze it in after a busy schedule only increases your discipline and strength over time. Cheers

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 7 2024, 15:30

walking everyday works wonders. light weight lifting, work on stamina. just get up & get moving lol that’s the key, so that bike ride is great. 

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#5 Innovative Strategies Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Innovative Strategies Contributor
Replied Feb 7 2024, 16:14

The most underrated aspect of getting or staying healthy is managing stress.

Operating with little to no stress is within reach for very few people, if you're able to get closer to that then almost everything else is a breeze. For better or worse, I have been able to all my life. 

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 13 2024, 08:34
Quote from @Joe S.:

Physical health should be your top priority. I think working out and being successful is a direct correlation. I own 8-units in the Columbus, ohio market. I also broker a lot of on-market and off-market deals. This is because I am able to stay disciplined and my mind is fresh. It all ties back to good health. Whether you are investing in Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo, or any other out-of-state market, health should always be a top priority!

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Feb 13 2024, 09:00
Quote from @Thomas Castleman:

Everyday or just about!

5-7 workouts a week for the last 11 years!

So I read some places online where it says to skip a day between workouts and then other people say they work out every day. 

User Stats

Votes
Wade Woo
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Manassas Park, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Manassas Park, VA
Replied Apr 1 2024, 16:27
Quote from @Joe S.:
Quote from @Scott E.:

Great topic. Here are some things I do for my physical health for ideas. Sounds like you're already on the right track Joe.

-I make myself and my wife a fruit and veggie smoothie every morning.

-I "move" 4x per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday). My "moving" consists of half riding my bike, half bodyweight exercises like push ups, pull ups, body squats, planks.

-Go to bed at 10pm every night, wake up at 6am every morning. 8 hrs sleep.

-No soda

-Tons of water (I don't aim for a specific goal here, but I probably drink 120oz per day)

-I take a multivitamin gummy every morning. Not sure if these actually do anything. But they taste good, and I figure they can't hurt.

-If I need to get "fast food" out of convenience, I'll opt for a bowl at chipotle, a sub at Jersey Mikes, stuff like that. No McDonalds or Burger King.

And that's about it. I do enjoy some craft beers in moderation. I do have a few meals per week that are probably not considered "healthy" or whatever. But if you're moving often and you're eating right most of the time, that's good enough for me. Got to enjoy yourself every once in a while.

Getting eight hours sleep is going to be the challenge for me. I don’t know if I could sleep that long, even if I went to bed earlier. Lol.
In the past I woke up a lot in the night. Is there any particular thing that you have found that helps a person sleep deeper and longer?

Yes, exercise and 400 mg of magnesium at night with a meal will help you sleep deeper and longer. Also, break the dependency on carbohydrates by reducing your carb intake by 50g per day for three days. It will probably be a rough three days but well worth the benefits of being independent of carbs.

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied Apr 18 2024, 09:08

Hi Joe, That's fantastic to hear that you're prioritizing your health and well-being! Making small changes and starting with activities like riding your bike are great steps toward improving your overall health. Set achievable goals for yourself, whether it's increasing your daily step count, improving endurance, or hitting a certain fitness milestone. Celebrate your progress along the way and don't be too hard on yourself if you have setbacks.