Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Investor Mindset
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Julie Silvestro
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
How to Get 100% of Residents to Pay for ancillary WiFi?

Julie Silvestro
  • Peoria, AZ
Posted Feb 7 2017, 09:34

My question is HOW DO YOU GET 100% ADOPTION FOR A ANCILLARY WiFi SERVICE? 

I will start off by saying thank you to everyone who posted in my last thread titled "Should I Use Cap Rate or ROI?" Please review if you feel lost in this thread. 

Assumptions:

1) Lets assume that the WiFi service will be vastly superior in speeds, latency, mobility, ease of use, security and overall value. Lets just assume for this conversation the residents will not have a better choice when it comes to total internet experience (yes this is possible). 

2) Lets assume that the SRP to the residents is $50 a month AND at that price they save $25 a month (Cable Internet - $75 national average). 

3) The owner will increase the NOI by $30 a door per month ($50 SRP-$20 expense = $30 NOI) and is highly motivated to have this for each and every resident.

Here is our most recommended approach:

-Include it in the rent or into the RUBS for $50 per unit to everyone.  

-Set up an opt-out clause (screamers only) for up to 10% of residents who do not use the Internet (if they still exists).

-If it's a new-build or no occupancy situation than simply add the cost to your pricing model. If its a previously occupied property use our ramp-up services. Basically we work with the owner to take pre-orders and on-board as many residents out of the gate.

-As each lease renews or as new leases are signed implement the new Internet protocol from above.

-By the end of year one, 90-100% of the property in theory will be paying $50 a month.

Example: A property with 150 units decides to install Property-Wide WiFi (PWW). We can assume that 8.3% (1/12) will be enter into new leases or renew old leases. In the first 90 days 50% of the residents decide to sign up for the new services and 24.9% are automatically included through their new lease. We can assume that between 50%-74.9% of the residents will be on-boarded within the first 90 days. The remaining % will be converted throughout the year as leases come due.

Any Better Ideas?

How can a owner get 100%? Maybe we are over thinking it but we really want the communities input here.

Thank you BP community in advance for all your great ideas! 

Loading replies...