Skip to content
Denver Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes

Denver Duplex in TU-C - Can you have an ADU in basement?

Santiago Arteaga
Posted Dec 17 2020, 14:46

Hi! I have a duplex in U-TU-C zoning. I have a basement with a partial kitchen and would like to give it an independent access. According to code this turns that space into a "Complete and independent dwelling unit" CIDU (great City document explaining that here). What I cant figure out from the code and after spending hours of research:

is whether in a U-TU-C, in a Duplex unit, you can legally have a CIDU? (that overall structure, would have the neighboring duplex, my own main duplex area plus the second dwelling unit in my basement)

Anyone who can guide me?

I think the key lies on this text from the above cited city doc, but I am not smart enough to interpret it:

Code Compliance Consequences of a Second Complete and Independent Dwelling Unit Finding:

If a second CIDU is found:
1. The Denver zoning codes will apply to determine whether a second Dwelling Unit is permitted in
the subject zone district. A second Dwelling Unit is allowed in the following scenarios:
a. In a zone district that allows the Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) use as accessory to a
primary single unit dwelling use (e.g., U-SU-C1 or R-MU-20), the second CIDU would be
considered an attached ADU zoning use, and must be permitted as such.
b. In a zone district that allows Two-Unit Dwelling use (e.g., E-TU-B or R-2), the second CIDU
would be considered part of a Two-Unit Dwelling use of the entire structure, and must be
permitted as such.
2. Where a second Dwelling Unit is allowed by zoning, the IRC shall apply to require, among other
things, any necessary fire safety separation between the Primary Dwelling Unit and the second
CIDU.

Loading replies...