Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Denver Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Manning
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Arvada Notice to Terminate Month to Month Questions

Anthony Manning
  • Denver, CO
Posted Sep 24 2018, 05:31

Hey All, 

Does anyone know where I can find resources on how to terminate a month to month lease in Arvada?  

The scenario I'm concerned with is regarding recently purchased a duplex in Arvada where one side is vacant and the other side has someone paying below market rate.  I'd like to rent the side that's vacant and move into the side that's occupied (once current occupant is gone), but first need to get the tenant out of there.  The current tenant has paid on time, they have previously just paid a relatively low amount for years.  

Everyone I've spoken to briefly says this shouldn't be difficult, just serve them a 30 day notice.

I've found the below from Colorado Legal Resources which is the state level guideline.  

https://advance.lexis.com/documentpage/?pdmfid=100...

13-40-107. Notice to quit

(1) A tenancy may be terminated by notice in writing, served not less than the respective period fixed before the end of the applicable tenancy, as follows:

(a) A tenancy for one year or longer, ninety-one days;

(b) A tenancy of six months or longer but less than a year, twenty-eight days;

(c) A tenancy of one month or longer but less than six months, twenty-one days;

(d) A tenancy of one week or longer but less than one month, or a tenancy at will, three days;

(e) A tenancy for less than one week, one day.

(2) Such notice shall describe the property and the particular time when the tenancy will terminate and shall be signed by the landlord or tenant, the party giving such notice or his agent or attorney.

(3) Any person in possession of real property with the assent of the owner is presumed to be a tenant at will until the contrary is shown.

(4) No notice to quit shall be necessary from or to a tenant whose term is, by agreement, to end at a time certain.

(5) Except as otherwise provided in section 38-33-112, C.R.S., the provisions of subsections (1) and (4) of this section shall not apply to the termination of a residential tenancy during the ninety-day period provided for in said section.

Based on this, it looks like for month to month occupants, 21 day notice is the appropriate time for Colorado, but I wasn't sure if there was any specific code that needed to be followed in Arvada aside from the Colorado text above.  

Things I'm worried about are anything related to rent control, anything related to the tenants rights that I haven't thought about before (like cases of tenant being not mentally there as I know in Los Angeles where I'm from, things like that might impact procedure), etc.    

So really, I have three questions to be clear:

1)  Does anyone already know what I need to do here?

1)  Does anyone know (aside from 13-40-107 that I pasted) the authoritative text on this in Arvada (if it differs from Colorado) for ending month to month leases?

2)  Can anyone think of any scenarios where this wouldn't be easy and could get dicey?

I will speak with an attorney, but want to have a good understanding first and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.   

Thanks!

-Anthony 

Loading replies...