Architect and Structural Engineer Cost in Atlanta Georgia

Architect and Structural Engineer Cost in Atlanta Georgia

Kevin PolitePro Member
Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes

Planning new construction and the Architect gave me a quote for $4,500 and Structural Engineer $,3000. The plans are based off of two remodels I've done and the Architect is going to combine and make the best of both into this one. Is that a reasonable fee. Architect's fee is much higher than what they've charged for remodels. 

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

Don't know if this helps, as it's the first time I'm using an engineer. I'm buying a fire damaged duplex tomorrow . It's 2 story. 1 side (1 unit) is burned and the other isn't (some water damage where fire dept hacked through wall).  They have to tear down the one side, while stabilizing the other. 

I just got a quote for architectural blueprints for permits and engineer stamp for $ 3250.00

So, I'm getting that started, while I'm looking for a contractor to do the work, as the scope of that work is more than I have dealt with in the past

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 155 posts · 118 votes
    8y
    What’s the total square footage of the building (s). My architects price off of square footage.
  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    We may can help you with this.. let me know

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Don't know if this helps, as it's the first time I'm using an engineer. I'm buying a fire damaged duplex tomorrow . It's 2 story. 1 side (1 unit) is burned and the other isn't (some water damage where fire dept hacked through wall).  They have to tear down the one side, while stabilizing the other. 

    I just got a quote for architectural blueprints for permits and engineer stamp for $ 3250.00

    So, I'm getting that started, while I'm looking for a contractor to do the work, as the scope of that work is more than I have dealt with in the past

  • Kevin PolitePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes
    8y

    I need to find out if structural is designing the floor system, load calculations, framing plans and foundation plans. All I got was a price. Have used him before on smaller jobs on buyer requested repairs. 

  • Contractor · Canton, GA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 81 votes
    8y

    Yes , if they are supplying you with permit plans and engineering letter for the Inspections. Atlanta and Dekalb are the most egregious to deal with if you are permitting. If you haven’t permitted before in these jurisdictions, I strongly recommend a permit courier or at least a Gc who works these areas.

  • Kevin PolitePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes
    8y

    @John Patterson thanks. on rehabs, maybe I've been lucky, but haven't had any hiccups dealing with DeKalb. Usually get my permits in a day. The problem comes with inspections and you never know what one will ok and the other want. Plus you call in for an inspection the next day and sit there waiting and they never show. 

    @Michaela G. thanks. love what you're doing with your "artist colony" in Pittsburg. Great idea. We tried something less ambitious by targeting a neighborhood in Decatur with both rentals and flips. First property we purchased there in 2011 for $30k. Saw a property that needs a full rehab that went on the market next to one of my rentals that they're asking $150k. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 188 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Ragland:

    We may can help you with this.. let me know

     Hi Jay, are you open to discuss a possible tear down im looking at in Atlanta? Its in the belt line area. If we can chat soon that would be great. Thank you!

  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Feel free to contact me anytime ..info listed below or PM me

  • Investor · Rocktown, IL · Member since 2012 · 238 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    Regarding architect costs, there are some very interesting and accurate comments at the bottom of this link.

    https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/architects-and-en...

  • Kevin PolitePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Decatur Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 610 posts · 232 votes
    8y

    Signed the contract and off to the races. 

  • Investor · Atlanta GA · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 71 votes
    5y

    @Michaela G. - Do you recommend an architect you may have used in the past ?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kaustubh Johri:

    @Michaela G. - Do you recommend an architect you may have used in the past ?

    I ended up just holding the duplex and not rebuilding for now and have not worked with an architect for anything else

  • Investor · Atlanta GA · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 71 votes
    5y

    @Michaela G. - Thanks ! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.