• Chicago, IL
Votes |
Gut rehab - Chicago northside (Edgewater) 2 flat

Brian Kasper
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Aug 11 2019, 18:23

Hi all - 

Looking for some insight on the estimated costs of gutting a traditional Chicago two-flat.  It's about 2600 feet, each 3 bedroom/1 bath units.  Will need new HVAC, new electric, new plumbing, new walls/configuration, and possibly dig out to create duplex down (two-level unit) or 3rd legal unit.  Just trying to get a rough idea on costs, either cost per SF or estimated unit reno.  We'd live in one unit and rent out the remaining unit(s). 

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Aug 12 2019, 04:28

@Brian Kasper - depending on finishes estimate $50k-$70k per floor for interior work.  Basement dig is $30k just to dig if you don't need to underpin the footings, $50k if you do.  

Second City Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • Developer
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Aug 12 2019, 05:21

@Brie Schmidt is spot on. Keep in mind that those numbers wouldn't typically include any exterior work (roof, tuct pointing, siding, garage, landscaping, sidewalks, etc...)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
Pro Member
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Sep 22 2019, 17:28

A close friend of mine primary resident burned down last week. Its a two flat by Addison and Pulaski. Building will need gut rehab and new roof. Is a gut rehab due to fire cost the same as a standard gut rehab?

Friend is currently dealing with statefarm insurance in regards to rehab. Does that make a difference?

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy VanDelinder
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Sep 22 2019, 18:00

@Account Closed You might want to start a new thread for this question, but I'll go at it in this forum. 

I flip fire-damaged properties and own a fire damage restoration company. The short answer is: no, fire damage rebuild is not the same as a standard gut rehab. 

For example, often fire damage is water damage--they put the red stuff out with wet stuff. Furthermore, there is the potential of extensive smoke damage in the same airspace. Then there is odor mitigation. If not done well can cause ongoing problems. 

I'm sorry your friend is having to go through this--it can be a very tough time. For what i's worth,  I've had very good experiences with State Farm. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Nino Alfano
  • Contractor
  • Lemont, IL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Lemont, IL
Replied Sep 22 2019, 18:10

@Mike Olszewski makes no difference

But most contractors that deal with insurance work inflate numbers because they can.

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Sep 23 2019, 08:39

Brian,
For Insurance, you should get quotes for a Renovation builders risk for the project and also Liability insurance.

For the Renovation Builders Risk, the agent will need to know the current value and the value (cost) of the renovations.