• Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Union City NJ Building Department

Lloyd Spencer
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Posted Apr 23 2022, 03:54

Hi, we're trying to rehab an abandoned multifamily building in Union City NJ. We're learning that the Mayor generally doesn't allow any permits to be approved for development.  Has anyone found a creative solution for this?  It seems hard to imagine that the city would want a boarded-up building on a main street on an ongoing basis but that's what it will be without permits.

User Stats

Votes
James LaPosta
Pro Member
  • Union City, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Union City, NJ
Replied Apr 23 2022, 10:31

Hey @Lloyd,

I’m not surprised to hear that given how difficult the building department is in Union City. I’ve been lucky to avoid needing them so far but I’ve heard tons of horror stories from other investors. One of my friends is still in the process of adding an addition and converting a 2 family into a 3 family in Union City. As you can imagine, she’s had a ton of issues with permits but she’s gotten through most of them now and is almost an expert at this point haha. Send me a DM and I can connect you with her!

User Stats

Votes
Lloyd Spencer
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied May 3 2023, 20:30

Just wanted to post an update.  After a year and hiring attorneys to represent us with the building department we finally got permits. As with many things in the US, you really have to hire attorneys to get what you want...

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 27 2023, 09:46

Lloyd, I would recommend reaching out to Pereiras Architects in Union City. They know the in's and out's of getting development / rehab projects approved in Union City. Manny Pereira is who you want to speak to.