Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cody Mitchell
  • Investor
  • College Station, Tx
Votes |
Criteria in looking for property to flip

Cody Mitchell
  • Investor
  • College Station, Tx
Posted Jun 2 2022, 16:43

My wife and I recently completed two BRRRR deals, and have some capital from the cash out refinance. We would like to get some more capital in order to scale more quickly and know a few good wholesalers, so we were thinking about doing a flip. I'm working on developing our critera for what we are looking for, and I was just curious what are some criteria that would should consider for finding properties to flip? I know typically flippers have a target ARV they like, and that they want to be in all typically at about 70% of the ARV, is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jun 3 2022, 07:43

@Cody Mitchell, from my point of view, you are have already done two flips. A BRRRR is just a flip that you don't sell.

I always work backwards with my numbers, starting with my profit.  I don't really look at percentages, but rather what is my time worth.  I want to feel fairly confident I will make $50k on every deal, since I am not too unhappy dealing with 6 months of part time headaches for $50k.  This also builds in a fair buffer if something unforeseen arises (i.e. a $20k collapsed sewer line replacement).  Percentages do matter because I will not invest $1mm to make $50k, but I will be all in $250k to make $50k, and more importantly, I won't take on a $150k rehab to only make $30k...

Then I look at ARVs and rehab cost/holding cost, to get to a purchase price.  This is all likely fairly straight forward already for you.

The piece that still surprises me is how much it costs to sell. I know the commissions, but post inspection fixes, the transfer taxes, etc. I know in most markets today, buyers aren't asking for closing cost assistance, but you should know if that is common in your market. If you accept an FHA offer, who is paying for the second appraisal (my advice, don't accept an FHA offer).

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 3 2022, 08:03

Get in an area you know is going to sell. You can buy dirt cheap, but have trouble selling. If it’s easy on the front end, it’s hard on the back end. Vise versa 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Jun 3 2022, 12:28

I like Evan’s post above, good advice. I would add that you should avoid any properties with major uncorrectable deficiencies which will reduce your buyers pool thereby reducing profits. Examples are next to commercial, on major streets or near freeways with traffic noise and smog, no garage (unless the entire area has many homes common without them), near railroad tracks, in airport flight paths, too many stairs to climb to front door, etc.

The level of rehab should be factored in too. If the rehab is heavy, your hold time will be longer so make sure to account for that. Also pay close attention to the surrounding homes. Is the subject property sitting next to another dumpy looking house? Since you can’t fix that one too, proceed with caution as most buyers will not want to buy a nice home sitting right next to or across the street from these dumpy homes. Of course not all markets are created equal so take that into consideration regarding my advice.

Knowing your market conditions and trends is also of vital importance. Since you have already done 2 brrrr homes, you probably know this already, but since you have not sold them, you have not actually completed a flip, just a remodel and the sale piece is an important step in the process. Miscalculate and pay the piper.

I look for the ugliest most outdated home in a nice area with other nice homes on the street. These tend to be the very best in profitability as they typically sell fast if you did the job right. Depending on your location and market conditions, buying the smallest home (perhaps a 2 bed 1 bath) and adding on can also be highly profitable so long as the cost to build the addition is well below the cost per sf you get at resale.

User Stats

Votes
Cody Mitchell
  • Investor
  • College Station, Tx
Votes |
  • Investor
  • College Station, Tx
Replied Jun 3 2022, 16:03
Quote from @Evan Polaski:

@Cody Mitchell, from my point of view, you are have already done two flips. A BRRRR is just a flip that you don't sell.

I always work backwards with my numbers, starting with my profit.  I don't really look at percentages, but rather what is my time worth.  I want to feel fairly confident I will make $50k on every deal, since I am not too unhappy dealing with 6 months of part time headaches for $50k.  This also builds in a fair buffer if something unforeseen arises (i.e. a $20k collapsed sewer line replacement).  Percentages do matter because I will not invest $1mm to make $50k, but I will be all in $250k to make $50k, and more importantly, I won't take on a $150k rehab to only make $30k...

Then I look at ARVs and rehab cost/holding cost, to get to a purchase price.  This is all likely fairly straight forward already for you.

The piece that still surprises me is how much it costs to sell. I know the commissions, but post inspection fixes, the transfer taxes, etc. I know in most markets today, buyers aren't asking for closing cost assistance, but you should know if that is common in your market. If you accept an FHA offer, who is paying for the second appraisal (my advice, don't accept an FHA offer).

That's awesome advice! I really appreciate it. This will help me build my criteria immensely

User Stats

Votes
Cody Mitchell
  • Investor
  • College Station, Tx
Votes |
  • Investor
  • College Station, Tx
Replied Jun 3 2022, 16:03
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Get in an area you know is going to sell. You can buy dirt cheap, but have trouble selling. If it’s easy on the front end, it’s hard on the back end. Vise versa 

Good tip! Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Cody Mitchell
  • Investor
  • College Station, Tx
Votes |
  • Investor
  • College Station, Tx
Replied Jun 3 2022, 16:07
Quote from @Will Barnard:

I like Evan’s post above, good advice. I would add that you should avoid any properties with major uncorrectable deficiencies which will reduce your buyers pool thereby reducing profits. Examples are next to commercial, on major streets or near freeways with traffic noise and smog, no garage (unless the entire area has many homes common without them), near railroad tracks, in airport flight paths, too many stairs to climb to front door, etc.

The level of rehab should be factored in too. If the rehab is heavy, your hold time will be longer so make sure to account for that. Also pay close attention to the surrounding homes. Is the subject property sitting next to another dumpy looking house? Since you can’t fix that one too, proceed with caution as most buyers will not want to buy a nice home sitting right next to or across the street from these dumpy homes. Of course not all markets are created equal so take that into consideration regarding my advice.

Knowing your market conditions and trends is also of vital importance. Since you have already done 2 brrrr homes, you probably know this already, but since you have not sold them, you have not actually completed a flip, just a remodel and the sale piece is an important step in the process. Miscalculate and pay the piper.

I look for the ugliest most outdated home in a nice area with other nice homes on the street. These tend to be the very best in profitability as they typically sell fast if you did the job right. Depending on your location and market conditions, buying the smallest home (perhaps a 2 bed 1 bath) and adding on can also be highly profitable so long as the cost to build the addition is well below the cost per sf you get at resale.

That is really good advice! Factoring in a longer holding time for larger rehab's is definitely something I need to keep in mind. Also definitely need to pay attention to the neighborhood. I appreciate you taking your time and helping me here.