Daniel Walker
  • Old Hickory, TN
Votes |
Price Points for Chattanooga Flips

Daniel Walker
  • Old Hickory, TN
Posted Jun 21 2022, 08:00

BP Team,

My biz partner and i are looking at a possible flip/BRRR or two in order to gain additional capital for more rental buys. Two questions for the team:

1) what sub-markets/neighborhoods are looking ripe for SFH flips/BRRRs?

2) What price point (buy, renovations, ARV) is looking good for this strategy in Chattanooga in the near-term?

Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Adrienne Green
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jun 21 2022, 14:11

Hi @Daniel Walker! The Chattanooga market is a great one to get in to! First, I'd note that BRRRing and flipping are two different animals in terms of investment strategy, so be cautious lumping them together. If you are looking to gain capital, then flipping is the way to go. If you are looking to build your portfolio with minimal capital outlay, then you'd BRRR.

In response to your questions, (1) all of the Chattanooga market is a green light for flips and BRRRs.  I generally try to stay within a half hour drive time of downtown, just to ensure demand.  (2) Median sales price is around $325k, so if you're at or under that, then you're in the cheaper part of the market, and demand for selling a flip should be good.  

Auburndale Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 9 2022, 00:50

Hi, I'm new to the chattanooga area as of 2 months ago.  I've done 1 flip, 1 live and flip and I own 1 rental.  Im looking to partner with someone in the chattanooga area.  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Bleasdale
  • Contractor
  • Spencer, TN
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Spencer, TN
Replied Jul 9 2022, 03:38
Quote from @Donte Lee:

Hi, I'm new to the chattanooga area as of 2 months ago.  I've done 1 flip, 1 live and flip and I own 1 rental.  Im looking to partner with someone in the chattanooga area.  

What are you looking for?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 9 2022, 05:36
Quote from @Donte Lee:

Same question as Benjamin. What are you looking for in a partner?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Boyd
Pro Member
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • USA
Replied Jul 20 2022, 07:59

Lots of opportunities in the Chattanooga Market, especially the River to Ridge Opportunity Zone.

User Stats

Votes
Rik Hunter
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jul 21 2022, 04:43
Quote from @Brian Boyd:

Lots of opportunities in the Chattanooga Market, especially the River to Ridge Opportunity Zone.

First time I'm hearing about Opportunity Zones. Found a 2019 noogatoday story, but it looks outdated. Where can I learn more? I found:

https://www.sedev.org/opportun...

https://opportunitydb.com/fund...

https://noogatoday.6amcity.com...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 21 2022, 06:44
Quote from @Benjamin Bleasdale:
Quote from @Donte Lee:

What are you looking for?

I dont have a whole lot of capital at the moment but I'm looking to add what capital I have to someone's project.  I also do tile work and drywall.  I'll help wherever I can.

thanks

User Stats

Votes
Oscar Zendejas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jul 21 2022, 13:25

For BRRR property, I generally look for a minimum 50% COC after the Refi. I have a spreadsheet I would be glad to share. Let me know if you need any contractor contacts for project you have coming up.

I have a value add Triplex in Rossville GA available. 15 minutes from Chattanooga. Message me for more info.

Best Regards

User Stats

Votes
Kaylee Walterbach
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Publishing Operations Manager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 22 2022, 15:01
Quote from @Adrienne Green:

(2) Median sales price is around $325k, so if you're at or under that, then you're in the cheaper part of the market, and demand for selling a flip should be good.  

@Adrienne Green Great info, thanks! I'm curious about the typical bedroom/bathroom makeup for the median sales price? Is a 3/2 reasonable at $325k?

User Stats

Votes
Kaylee Walterbach
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 22 2022, 15:03
Quote from @Rik Hunter:

First time I'm hearing about Opportunity Zones. Found a 2019 noogatoday story, but it looks outdated. Where can I learn more? 

There's a chapter on O-Zones in The Book on Advanced Tax Strategieshttps://store.biggerpockets.co...

User Stats

Votes
Rik Hunter
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jul 23 2022, 06:16
@Kaylee Walterbach

Thanks! I have the book and was reading it in prep for tax season, so I'm sure I skipped that section. 

User Stats

Votes
Adrienne Green
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Jul 23 2022, 12:00

@Kaylee Walterbach good question! The MLS data that gives the median sales price doesn't expressly state the median house stats. I would say a 3/2, older construction (like pre-2000) at $325k is a pretty reasonable thing to accomplish here.

Auburndale Group Logo
Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Kaylee Walterbach
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 25 2022, 14:38

@Adrienne Green - Thanks, that is helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Paiton Patterson
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Aug 8 2022, 12:32

My investors are seeing success in the Cleveland, Lookout Valley, and Red Bank areas! Happy investing. :) 

User Stats

Votes
Paiton Patterson
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Aug 9 2022, 21:10
Quote from @Donte Lee:

Happy to hear! Welcome to the area!