Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Jenkot
Votes |
Plumbing question for ADU conversion

Jacob Jenkot
Posted

Hello BP!

I am considering converting a detached garage to an ADU. Seems like I should be fine my the city, but they are pretty incompetent, that's another story though.

So the detached garage sits on the alley where the sewer runs. It’s an old building and sits on at least 8 inches of a concrete slab (what I have seen visually during some landscape work.)

The structure does not have plumbing, and I would want  plumbing roughed in for 1 bath, kitchen and washer. I am not sure exactly how to ask a plumber for this service, if a plumber even the correct person to call for this. Would I ask for plumbing rough in?

Also, I am thinking this will be my most expensive part of the project. Does anyone have a cost break down from a recent ADU conversion in the Denver area?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Malcomb Stapel
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied

@Jacob Jenkot  plumbers work under concrete slabs all the time. The correct order of events should be 

1. contact plumber and tell them the scope of work to be performed (have them plan things out).

2. contact concrete cutting service and have them cut exactly where the plumber has detailed. 

3. Get the plumber back out to make the connections.

It could be an expensive job. You might be able to negotiate a discount if your removing the concrete and doing the digging. If your removing the concrete I recommend you have it cut no bigger than one foot squares. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

Yes, you would call either a Plumbing Contractor or maybe better a General Contractor, who would work and manage the whole product and deal with the City.

NOTE - First thing to do though is to go to the City and ask if this is even going to be legal. I used to have difficulty in California converting garages because of the lack of Steel/Concrete PSI/vapor barrier. It may not be possible to do the conversion because of this and you would have to tear down the existing garage and start fresh. You want to know this before you start....

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Jenkot
Votes |
Replied

Awesome! Thank you for the advice. I’ll find a few plumbers in my area

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Jenkot
Votes |
Replied

Yeah the city of aurora is pretty terrible. Good advice though! I’ll start with that

User Stats

Votes
Efrain Yakuta
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied

@Jacob Jenkot if it's going to be a permitted ADU, the city may have a laundry list of requirements beyond plumbing. I would engage with an architect and get all the planning/scope of work dialed and approved with the city. Then you have a clear set of plans to give to contractors for pricing. There's a lot of upfront planning but it will save tons of time when dealing with the contractor and can help avoid misunderstandings. Good luck!