Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
To all the flippers out there, what are you seeing in your markets?

Alan Asriants
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Mar 23 2023, 07:22

I am always looking at flipping opportunities but have been really skiddish due to the uncertainties in the market right now. On the one hand, in my market (Phila), well rehabbed and well priced listings are selling at steady prices, in some cases for even more. I do feel like timing is extremely important because buyers are so sensitive to interest rate trends. You put your house up when rates dip - you win, you put it up when they spike - it cuts into your bottom line. I am making offers, but I would say they are offensive. I don't want to find myself in a position 6 moths later with no equity. What are you guys seeing? Are you accounting for more risk when making offers? 

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Mar 23 2023, 07:53

There is WAY more inventory in my market... something like 4x the available homes compared to just 1 year ago.

But what I'm seeing is that there is very little quality inventory. A lot of people are throwing their homes up for sale to see if they can get those sky-high 2021 prices. But nobody is paying those prices anymore, because most of these homes are gross and dusty.

If a very nicely finished house flip or spec build hits the market in a prime location, those deals are still selling.

So now more than ever these 2 things are very important for house flippers:

1. Location, location, location

2. Hire a designer

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 23 2023, 08:39
Quote from @Alan Asriants:

I am always looking at flipping opportunities but have been really skiddish due to the uncertainties in the market right now. On the one hand, in my market (Phila), well rehabbed and well priced listings are selling at steady prices, in some cases for even more. I do feel like timing is extremely important because buyers are so sensitive to interest rate trends. You put your house up when rates dip - you win, you put it up when they spike - it cuts into your bottom line. I am making offers, but I would say they are offensive. I don't want to find myself in a position 6 moths later with no equity. What are you guys seeing? Are you accounting for more risk when making offers? 

Well, you make your money when you buy. I picked up about 26  ( in contract) over the last 2 weeks. I already have them under contract with buyers. All are about 20- 30 % or so under the value. We will not get less than 10% ( these are all cash deals ) net caps. So when you buy in this scenario up or down in the market, 10- 15% is meaningless. I understand the volume I do is not the norm, ( I have a large network) .its better to do 4 for the right price then 20 where you overpaid, just buy right and all will be good. 

All the best to you 

BTW if your offer is not offensive you offered to much :) 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:43
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Well, you make your money when you buy. I picked up about 26  ( in contract) over the last 2 weeks. I already have them under contract with buyers. All are about 20- 30 % or so under the value. We will not get less than 10% ( these are all cash deals ) net caps. So when you buy in this scenario up or down in the market, 10- 15% is meaningless. I understand the volume I do is not the norm, ( I have a large network) .its better to do 4 for the right price then 20 where you overpaid, just buy right and all will be good. 

All the best to you 

Thank you for the tip sir. Will continue giving offense lol

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:44
Quote from @Scott E.:

There is WAY more inventory in my market... something like 4x the available homes compared to just 1 year ago.

But what I'm seeing is that there is very little quality inventory. A lot of people are throwing their homes up for sale to see if they can get those sky-high 2021 prices. But nobody is paying those prices anymore, because most of these homes are gross and dusty.

If a very nicely finished house flip or spec build hits the market in a prime location, those deals are still selling.

So now more than ever these 2 things are very important for house flippers:

1. Location, location, location

2. Hire a designer

I agree, Buyers are picky and sellers can no longer "throw it on the wall and see if it sticks"
Well priced and well done homes are flying

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 23 2023, 14:16
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

All the best to you 

Thank you for the tip sir. Will continue giving offense lol

Also NEVER listen to realtors, 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 23 2023, 14:28

You either ride the wave or catch a falling knife. The key is to buy with cash flow, if the market turns and you are left in a position with no equity you want the option to rent it out. 

User Stats

Votes
Leo Kwok
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Chicago IL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Chicago IL
Replied Mar 23 2023, 14:56

inventory is still pretty low in Chicagoland suburbs, especially homes that are nicely rehab.... anything that looks nice gets snatched up right away

I think if you present a nice product there should be no shortage of buyers for that!