Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Collier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Small space laundry solutions

Jeff Collier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Posted Mar 24 2023, 04:32

Hello all --- I have a historic property that has been divided into 4 1br/1ba units. I'm trying to find solutions to add laundry into each of the units, and while my contractor and I have discussed a few options, I thought it would be worthwhile to throw it out there to the BP community. We've taken measurements for stackable combo units and all-in-one units - have a few ideas, but nothing that has come to the fore just yet.

Have you added laundry into your remodels for smaller spaces, and if so, how? 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Mar 24 2023, 08:14

A stacked setup won't work?

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Collier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Mar 24 2023, 09:06

Possibly - I'm back and forth between a stacked laundry center and an all-in-one. In either case, some of the units will need some additional build out (and/or demo of existing walls) to create the space. I'm starting to learn toward an all-in-one that can have a butcher block shelf on top for additional functionality.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Carlton B.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Mar 25 2023, 09:39

Have the plumber put in a laundry box. This will eliminate the sink saving space.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 25 2023, 09:53

A stackable unit.  You can put it in a hall closet (with proper venting) or use part of a large entry closet.  Is there space under a staircase?

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Collier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Mar 26 2023, 04:09
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

A stackable unit.  You can put it in a hall closet (with proper venting) or use part of a large entry closet.  Is there space under a staircase?

Unfortunately, none of the hall closets are deep enough (16-18 inches deep at most) - and not enough room in the hall to take up any more space. Definitely using the space under the staircase for one of the units. And actually, two of the units are straightforward (one can go under stairs / the other has two closets in the bedroom, so safe to use one of them for laundry). 

The trouble is that upstairs units don't have any practical spaces - so exploring impractical spaces!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 26 2023, 05:42
Quote from @Jeff Collier:
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Unfortunately, none of the hall closets are deep enough (16-18 inches deep at most) - and not enough room in the hall to take up any more space. Definitely using the space under the staircase for one of the units. And actually, two of the units are straightforward (one can go under stairs / the other has two closets in the bedroom, so safe to use one of them for laundry). 

The trouble is that upstairs units don't have any practical spaces - so exploring impractical spaces!

A place I saw last week took a closet from a bedroom that was next to a hall closet (so closets are side by side, but one opened into the hallway and the other into the bedroom) and turned that into upstairs laundry.  They lost the closest in the bedroom, but this allowed them to put the laundry in.  The laundry was rotated 90 degrees, so rather than opening the closet door in the hall and seeing the front of the laundry machines, you had to walk in the closet and turn left.  Not sure if that makes sense.