• Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
How to prevent theft

Steven Barr
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Apr 28 2023, 08:41

We just completed a flip and someone broke in and stole the entire HVAC system and appliances 

How do y’all mitigate against theft in your properties other than choosing a good area of town?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Apr 28 2023, 08:54

@Steven Barr

In some flips we have done, we had people sleep at the property until it was sold.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Barr
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 28 2023, 14:01
Quote from @Charles Carillo:

@Steven Barr

In some flips we have done, we had people sleep at the property until it was sold.

@Charles Carillo “people” being the contractors? Did you pay them to do this? How much?

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Dominick Johnson
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Apr 28 2023, 14:11

We put cameras in the windows in our flips and leave lights on in the interior and exterior. Also it helps if somebody is visibly present every day working.

User Stats

Votes
Carlton B.
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Apr 29 2023, 05:27

I will give my number to a nosy neighbor and ask them to call if they see anything unusual. I'm also thinking of using a cheap cell phone Hotspot and ring cameras. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 29 2023, 09:45
Quote from @Carlton B.:

I will give my number to a nosy neighbor and ask them to call if they see anything unusual. I'm also thinking of using a cheap cell phone Hotspot and ring cameras. 

+1

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 29 2023, 10:41

@Steven Barr

Security systems

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied May 1 2023, 05:15
Quote from @Steven Barr:
Quote from @Charles Carillo:

@Steven Barr

@Charles Carillo “people” being the contractors? Did you pay them to do this? How much?

Handymen mostly. It makes it easier if they are coming from a distance since it is a win-win (don't need to pay). Or if you hire a contractor, and there is a younger guy in the crew that probably lives with their parents, much easier to arrange. There is not someone there every night but, if most nights, there are lights on, and a car is in the driveway, it will deter theft. To clarify, we did not do this at all of our flips, just ones that were more susceptible to theft.

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied May 2 2023, 12:40

@Steven Barr, my first thought is: flip in better neighborhoods and hire better contractors.

Thankfully, I have never had any theft on my flip.  The worst is people filling up my dumpsters from other jobs.  I do also talk with all neighbors, share my contact info, and generally try to build rapport, so they call if they see anything weird (and also so they hopefully are more agreeable to all the noise, vehicles, etc that come with a construction site).

Only once did I have to put some fake cameras in windows, but that was because of a crazy neighbor that I was afraid may vandalize the house, not actually steal anything.