• Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Water damage caused by plumber

Jason Sung
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted May 19 2023, 13:56

Hi, I would like any advice who had similar experience before. I just finished fixing a house with new vinyl flooring. I spent more than $10k for flooring. 

Due to clogged toilet, I hired a plumber who helped another house before. He was busy and he sent another person who he works with. 

When I went to see the house after work, I found water all over the floor. 

The plumber said he does not have insurance. 

What would be the best way to address this situation?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied May 19 2023, 13:59

Ask him for reimbursement.  If he refuses, may have to take him to small claims court.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied May 19 2023, 14:17

How much water does it take to wreck vinyl flooring? I’ve seen them soaked in tubs to show how waterproof they are. If it vinyl planks I would assume the repair is less than the plumbing bill? If it’s less than small claims, go that way. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 19 2023, 15:40

Eat the cost and move on. These people have no money. 

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied May 19 2023, 15:54

Define "water all over the floor"...... water on vinyl floor? Not a big deal..... water on floor enough that it got to baseboards, drywall etc etc..... PITA

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 19 2023, 16:29

A plumber without insurance is most likely a loser. You won't get money out of him in SC Court. You'll have to eat this and learn the lesson, This is on you for not checking his License/Insurance/Bond/Workers Comp/Etc....

First let it dry out and re-assess.....what does your flooring guy say? Was he licensed and insured?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 20 2023, 04:27

dude just buy commercial dehumidifier asap. 

Not every issue need to go to lawyer, lately I've seen posting just for little bit everything must go to court.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Delaney
Pro Member
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied May 20 2023, 10:25

@Jason Sung we just had an issue like this on a flip, but the water dripped through the kitchen ceiling so we had to make drywall repairs and repaint. The plumber is covering it out of pocket.

Have you actually assessed the damage? Is the subfloor ruined?

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied May 20 2023, 11:00
Aloha,

You state there was "water" all over the floor...but this was a clogged toilet? Probably much more than "water". You should have immediately had someone on this to PROPERLY extract, clean, and sanitize the area before placing air movers and/or dehumidifier to thoroughly dry the area. Only then can you determine actual "damage".  Any competent Licensed Plumber should have had a contact person to provide these services for you to call.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Sung
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 22 2023, 19:10

Thanks for you comment/advice all. 

I reached out a water damage restoration company (ServPro) that night and they came to the site the next day. After I signed the contract to get their service, they immediately brought dehumidifiers and started drying. If anyone has the same/similar issue, I would recommend considering this company. Very professional and great communication. 

It is a great lesson for me. I will always check if the contractor has insurance or not, especially plumbers. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 7 2023, 07:47

Half the time or more, when I guy I like sends another guy it becomes a problem. The other guys don't fit the same standard I like. Plus, I like to be there when repairs are being done until trust is established. Usually, I say I'll wait for you. Then I tell my tenant, my plumber can make it on this date. I must add, I am a plumber so most problems can be assessed or handled by me or temporarily fixed until I call my plumber.