Just finished my first flip! $30k profit!

Just finished my first flip! $30k profit!

Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 138 votes

Hey everyone,

I just finished my first flip and profited over $30k! It feels good to know that I can be confident in my numbers and rehab estimates. I was only a couple grand off, which I feel pretty good about. Did most of the work myself, which helped my profit quite a bit. If you’re interested in the details, we documented the whole process on YouTube: https://youtu.be/dJ9KTHW78Hk

Anyone else pumped about a recent flip? I’d love to hear about it!

105Reply
274 views

Most Popular Reply

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y

Congrats on your success, not bad at all. As a suggestion, take all your hours spent on performing the rehab tasks and calculate what your hourly rate was from your profits. It may be beneficial for you next time to hire out tasks that are “below your pay grade” so you can focus on the higher paid tasks like finding deals, raising money, building your team, adding systems for efficiencies, etc.

See this reply in the discussion

144 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Sandpoint, ID · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley great job! What was the biggest surprise on this first flip?

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley Congrats!! Awesome job! Would like to do the same thing myself. What lender did you use for the HELOC?

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 138 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shirley Roberson:

    @Jamie McCauley Congrats!! Awesome job! Would like to do the same thing myself. What lender did you use for the HELOC?

    Thanks Shirley!  We used a local bank(west Michigan) called Highpoint Community Bank.  It was important to us to find a lender who would lend on rental properties.  I know that Huntington Bank will do this as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley I haven't even messed with FB yet. I only use google. FB is almost like DMM, where as you set certain parameters (zip codes,age.....) and those are the people that will see your ads.

    Google only shows your ad to people who show intent. By that I mean someone types in "who buys houses in ...." and then they see your ad saying "I buy houses in....!"

    I will never mess with advertising in which the user hasn't shown intent first ever again.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 138 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Movo:

    @Jamie McCauley great job! What was the biggest surprise on this first flip?

    Thanks Nick!  The biggest surprise was definitely how long it took. I was expecting it to take 2 months and it took 3.5! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 138 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Jamie McCauley:
    Originally posted by @John Burtle:

    Can you describe step by step how you found the deal, came up with the repair estimates, and the funding?

    Congrats

    Sure Derrick!

    We found the deal from a wholesaler in our area. Not just a wannabe wholesaler, but a legit one who has accurate ARV's(he was under by $1000 :)). I knew it was in a family-friendly middle-class neighborhood, so the resale would be easy.

    For my repair estimates, I did estimates based off of previous renos i've done in the past on my own(personal) homes.  For example: In the bathroom, instead of writing out every line item, I estimated a max of 3k because we've done gut jobs for under that.  Nothing in the project was stuff I haven't seen before, so I had a pretty good idea.  

    Funding was a combination of cash and a HELOC I had on a rental property. This kept the reno/holding costs low by avoiding mortgage fees.

    Here's a number breakdown: 

    Purchase Price: $144,000
    Renovation Budget: $17,000 ($2,000 OVER)
    Total: $161,000

    Sales Price: $211,000
    Net Profit(After Closing Costs): $33,000

    Nice work. So much for the dogma of the Biggerpockets 70% flip rule. If you followed that, you would have never bought this deal.

    I think the max purchase price = ARV - fixed costs - rehab costs - profit is a much better model.

    Thanks! Numbers were a little tighter than I would have hoped, but to me it was a deal worth doing.  I was looking for something instead of sitting on the sidelines.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 138 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathaniel Hovsepian:

    @Jamie McCauley I haven't even messed with FB yet. I only use google. FB is almost like DMM, where as you set certain parameters (zip codes,age.....) and those are the people that will see your ads.

    Google only shows your ad to people who show intent. By that I mean someone types in "who buys houses in ...." and then they see your ad saying "I buy houses in....!"

    I will never mess with advertising in which the user hasn't shown intent first ever again.

    Thanks so much for the advice!  I will definitely look into this!  I am familiar with adwords as it is how I first found success in my main business(wedding photography).  

  • Investor · Mansfield, TX · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Congratulations! I really enjoyed the youtube video. You two seemed to really enjoy the process.

    Good luck on your future flips!

  • Rental Property Investor · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley Nice !

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Great job! Did you have experience in some of those trades prior to getting into real estate business? 

    Doing all the work yourself is exhausting, should be proud of yourself. 3.5 months aint all that bad for your first one!

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 138 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ellis:

    Great job! Did you have experience in some of those trades prior to getting into real estate business? 

    Doing all the work yourself is exhausting, should be proud of yourself. 3.5 months aint all that bad for your first one!

    Hi Brian!  Thanks!  I have done bathrooms and kitchens in our own homes before and also rental properties, so I had some practice.  It was exhausting, I was glad when I crossed the finish line!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley congratulations!!!!!

  • Charles HolderPro Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 141 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley

    Super cool.. did anyone help you in judging the deal and stuff.. super interested in this stuff but cold feet

  • Investor · Florham Park, NJ · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley

    congrats!! Great work!

  • Larry RayPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley congratulations! Thanks for sharing a part of your journey. Continued success.

  • Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley congratulations

  • Brookfield, WI · Member since 2016 · 191 posts · 108 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Will Barnard:
    ....
    That is a very common and typical situation/mistake that we Investors all make when starting, trying to save every dime to make the most by doing things yourself. When you factor in the extra hold time for going slower and the fact you spent time doing physical labor rather than other more important aspects, you realize you made less going down that road.

    That said, that very same real world lesson is crucial so I often invite new investors to try going the hire each sub version even though it is more time intensive and even doing things yourself as you learn how much it should cost to “swing the hammer” and how long it should take to do the same. Those life lessons in real estate really helped me with scaling my business. 

    It's not necessarily a "mistake", unless you have been in the trades, or a long time home owner, "doing it yourself" the first time (or few times) has the education benefit of learning what you don't know.  Plus, on the first few, you just might not have the upfront cash to "hire it out"

    For example, I do my own electrical in my personal residence, and from that, I NOW it doesn't "cost" a lot in materials for electrical work (aside from some specialty breakers, GFCI's, etc.), but the labor is more intensive than you might think, so that $3500 bid is not unreasonable, unless it has $2k+ in materials....I also know I am not going to do the electrical in my REI due to the time/effort involved even though I could save $2.5K on that $3500 bid...it's not worth the week It'll take me, plus the "permitting lag" that happens if you aren't a local tradie, which sets back pretty much everything else, drywallers, flooring, cabinetry, paint...etc. Same with Drywall, I know what good drywalling takes from having done my own, and choose to hang it myself, but hire professionals to mud and tape and do the skim coat. Painting...depends, etc. You find these out from doing.

    But congrats!  I don't do flips but maybe I should look at them :D  +30k in 3.5 months....nice.

    Jay

  • Real Estate Agent · Elk Grove Village, IL · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley awesome job just don't forget you made $20K and silent investor Uncle Sam made $10K

  • Rental Property Investor · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 156 posts · 93 votes
    6y

    AWESOME JOB! Wishing you the best in all your REI endeavors. I'm in contract for my first flip also ... its an FHA buyer so Im hoping that all goes well and we close on time in about a month.

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley congrats!

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley thats ok, not great.  but now what ? You need to do it all over again, Flipping is a job, dont get me wrong a good one. lol. I have flipped about 500 props in the last 6, 7 years. I wish I held more for cash flow. Residual is what its all about. I am actually making money as I type this LOL....... Wealth is created by long term plays, not fix an flip...... All the best to you 

    BTW after taxes, all your carrying costs, true net us about 20k. I assume it took 6 months ish  start to finish ? 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley congrats on the flip. Hope more in the future

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley

    Good job man!!!! Setting the bar high 💯

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jamie McCauley wow that’s amazing great job

  • New to Real Estate · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Congrats! I am a newbie and Flipping will be my first strategy to build up my real estate business. Thanks for the post... it gives me encouragement seeing your success.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.