Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Frank Szymanski
  • Houston, Tx
Votes |
Old cabinet refinish / repainting advice?

Frank Szymanski
  • Houston, Tx
Posted Mar 23 2020, 11:03

Hello all,

I am looking into an older kitchen cabinet remodel and was wondering if there were any creative people out there that had any ideas. The cabinets are in very good condition for their age and I am looking at updating them by possibly repainting or staining.

They definitely do have an aged look which will be hard to overcome and I've looked up some ideas online but haven't found cabinets with the same shape. I would replace the countertops as well as the appliances/flooring.

Does anyone have any personal ideas of theirs for this kitchen set up? Thinking about removing the cabinets overhead the cook top to open up the space even more.

Thanks in advance, see photos below!

User Stats

Votes
Josh Adams
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Mar 24 2020, 03:51

@Frank Szymanski If you go the painting route don’t mess with oil based paints if you’re not an expert. I am no painting expert but I have painted cabinets twice: at our previous home and at our current home. The former with oil based the latter with high quality semi-gloss. I understand the traditional guidance on using oil based for high traffic areas like kitchens for durability and cleaning but oil based painting experience was just not worth it. It’s extremely hard to work with, clean up, and it stinks. The quality of water based primers and paints today will stand up as long as your prep work is thoroughly done. You’re probably looking at sanding, priming, and three coats of a high quality semi gloss or gloss paint.

User Stats

Votes
Dawn P.
  • Sumter, SC
Votes |
  • Sumter, SC
Replied Mar 24 2020, 06:42
Originally posted by @Frank Szymanski:

@Dawn P.

Wow Dawn that looks great!

Question, how did you get rid of the raised surfaces on your older cabinet faces? Also, how much grain do you see through your cabinets, what product did you use?

Thanks! I used a five-in-one tool and a hammer to pop the raised trim off, it's only held on with a bit of glue and pin nails. The wood grain didn't show through when I was done - used one coat of oil based Zinsser and three coats of Sherwin Williams ProClassic paint. The cabinets I did in this combo about five years ago have held up really well.

But if you want to go dark, the General Finishes gel stain others have mentioned does a really good job, too!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alissa Engel
  • Great Falls, MT
Votes |
  • Great Falls, MT
Replied Mar 24 2020, 07:43

@Frank Szymanski

I’ve done three sets of 70-90’s oak cabinets in rentals. I’ve always used the Rustoleum Cabinet Refinish kit from Home Depot. I’ve done dark brown, white, and Grey. White was my favorite, but they all turned out well, and have held up with tenants. The issues is TIME. It is very time consuming to do it right. There are many UTube videos that show how to do it, but many claim that it’s a weekend job. I don’t think this is possible. It’s been a week of full days for me.

We currently have another set that needs done, and my husband is pushing for paint instead. He thinks it will be less time consuming.

Curious if anyone has done both of these options: what’s the difference in time required? And how has paint held up compared to the Rustoleum product??