Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andy Mirza
  • Lender
  • Ladera Ranch, CA
Votes |
Effect of Pandemic on Note Management (so far)

Andy Mirza
  • Lender
  • Ladera Ranch, CA
Posted

I'm starting this thread to share info on the short term, immediate effects of the coronavirus pandemic as it pertains to the active management of note portfolios. We can save medium and long term implications in a separate post :)

So far, I'm seeing a slowdown in communication from some but not all of our vendors. This is understandable given that we should all take care of our personal and family needs first and foremost. Some vendors remain very responsive almost as if nothing else were happening. My guess and hope is that things start getting better in the next week or two as the immediate fear dies down and those that are used to working in an office transition to working remotely.

Cook County, Illinois postponed most cases for an automatic 30 days so this has affected some of our NPNs. We've been waiting to get a sheriff's sale date for one NPN but the sale can't take place until May anyhow; we're just delayed in getting the date.

In Las Vegas, NV, our eviction hearing was held telephonically. I believe that telephonic and video interactions will become more widely acceptable for court hearings. We won the hearing and have a date of possession for mid-April. Our attorney mentioned that we got that date because of the pandemic so I assume that possession is usually granted much sooner.

(I'm personally ok with extensions for a month or so regarding possession; although we've had quite a few borrowers treat us poorly prior to the pandemic, I think everybody should stay put until things settle down for everyone's sake.)

Finally, I don't think people will be rushing to invest capital in note funds at least for the next couple of weeks or maybe months. The stock market has most people's attention and the people that are scared will hold onto cash or possibly make bad decisions if panic takes hold. Hopefully, I'm wrong :)

Loading replies...