Elon Musk calls for 'urgent' need to build more housing in Austin

21 Replies | Austin, Texas

maybe that silly guy should build some houses.....oh yea the government is not taking taxpayer money and willing to give to him to build houses like they do for his cars.

Originally posted by @Stephen Stokes :

maybe that silly guy should build some houses.....oh yea the government is not taking taxpayer money and willing to give to him to build houses like they do for his cars.

Exactly!  And just maybe get those homeless campers somewhere else. 

@Stephen Stokes - I don't know. I also try to take every deduction the government offers me. I wouldn't like to be categorized as a robber because of that, even if there's a difference in scale. 

It seems to me that you can find examples like that with any SP500 company. For example, Oracle. 

If I had a problem with that, I'd take it up with the government that offered them. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the catalysts for my Austin area real estate appreciation; I'm 100% a fan.  

Regardless, I agree. That "silly guy" should build some houses.

@Stephen Stokes - Frankly, I don't see a difference. Money is fungible and he's certainly created more value with that than I could have. But fair enough, let's agree to disagree. I hope you have a great day and massive appreciation of your (Austin area) assets!

Housing will be built as long as there is demand.

I'm wondering what the pay rates will be in the new factory for (most) workers.

For instance can Mr. and Mrs. both work there and qualify for a loan (Jointly) that will buy an Austin priced Home?

What will be the age of the workforce, and how long will it take them to save up the required down payments (and are these down payment saving types--or spendthrifts maxing out on beer and ciggaretts).

Or will they be Forever Renter paying jobs (for most).

Because if that's the case, then close in new housing will be an inconvenience to the workforce, making large scale multi-family apartments the way to go (close in for a shorter drive).

Just my 2 cents.

And I don't see why anyone would speak ill of him. He's a fellow Austinite, and probably our city's most successful African American.

I think anything he does here is a positive for our city.

It's not like he's creating slums, or taking unfair advantage of anyone.

He creates companies that give people jobs--which seems like a good thing for everyone.

just my 2 cents.

The issue with accommodating the urgent need brought on by companies like Amazon and Tesla surging into Austin is that these companies openly state their end goal is to automate more warehouse/assembly line processes. What happens if the workforce need in that location changes dramatically? Investors lose out.

Tesla could make an investment that aims to solve the housing need. My opinion is that they prefer to invest in their technology (including the factory) far more than investing in their people.

@Matthew Irish-Jones

Would you not take government money if it was available to you? Did you not take advantage of an FHA loan?

I respect everyone's perspective and based on your statement:

Why do we frown on Section 8, Unemployment, Stimulus Money and Welfare for that matter.

Heck based on your statement we shouldn't complain about the government's eviction moratorium.

Hey if the government is going to give it to you, "Why not take it?"

Just wondering?

"Why do we frown on Section 8, Unemployment, Stimulus Money and Welfare for that matter."

I don't.

"Heck based on your statement we shouldn't complain about the government's eviction moratorium."

I don't.

I just try to learn the rules of the game as best I can and try to play the best hand I can. Right now, I'm not very good (not bad either), but I'll get better the longer I play.

Originally posted by @Damaso Bautista :

@Matthew Irish-Jones

Would you not take government money if it was available to you? Did you not take advantage of an FHA loan?

I respect everyone's perspective and based on your statement:

Why do we frown on Section 8, Unemployment, Stimulus Money and Welfare for that matter.

Heck based on your statement we shouldn't complain about the government's eviction moratorium.

Hey if the government is going to give it to you, "Why not take it?"

Just wondering?

@Daniel K.

I hear people complaining all the time about these things.  They are all part of life, they are all part of real estate investing but everyone has their own take on things.

My point is the world is made up of many different things and our personal view isn't more or less valuable then anyone elses, it is just their point of view.

Yes, absolutely! Have a great day!

Originally posted by @Damaso Bautista :

@Daniel K.

I hear people complaining all the time about these things.  They are all part of life, they are all part of real estate investing but everyone has their own take on things.

My point is the world is made up of many different things and our personal view isn't more or less valuable then anyone elses, it is just their point of view.