Skip to content
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Johnson
  • MO (missouri)
Votes |
Reading list, first book to last. (A request)

Jesse Johnson
  • MO (missouri)
Posted Aug 20 2019, 10:25

Hey BP Fam! This post will be quick and simple. I, like most people on here, am interested in investing in property for rental income. I am in the process of reading (well, listening on YouTube) Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

My question is this: Does anyone either recommend a good book, or better yet, a specific reading list that could benefit me from reading in a particular order? Any audio books (pref on YouTube) you recommend? I would prefer these reading materials to be free, however if they are not, just state that it isn’t free when you recommend the book, so I can budget money to invest in them.

Thanks for anyone who decides to reply.

User Stats

Votes
David Pere
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Aug 20 2019, 11:25

@Jesse I don't have them in order, but I have a list of books I recommend. Unfortunately none of them are free, but all are affordable through amazon/audible. I would also recommend all of the BiggerPockets books, and I think "How to Invest in Real Estate" by Brandon Turner and Josh Dorkin would make a good first REI book!

User Stats

Votes
Kaylee Walterbach
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Publishing Operations Manager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Publishing Operations Manager
  • Denver, CO
Replied Aug 20 2019, 12:22

Hey @Jesse Johnson! If I may suggest some BiggerPockets books, some great options for a beginner would be: 

All are available as e-books and audiobooks, which are slightly cheaper than the physical book option. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have about our books.

Happy reading and good luck investing!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Johnson
  • MO (missouri)
Votes |
  • MO (missouri)
Replied Aug 20 2019, 13:03

@David Pere

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Johnson
  • MO (missouri)
Votes |
  • MO (missouri)
Replied Aug 20 2019, 13:03

@Kaylee Pratt

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Aug 20 2019, 14:32
Originally posted by @Jesse Johnson:

Hey BP Fam! This post will be quick and simple. I, like most people on here, am interested in investing in property for rental income. I am in the process of reading (well, listening on YouTube) Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

My question is this: Does anyone either recommend a good book, or better yet, a specific reading list that could benefit me from reading in a particular order? Any audio books (pref on YouTube) you recommend? I would prefer these reading materials to be free, however if they are not, just state that it isn’t free when you recommend the book, so I can budget money to invest in them.

Thanks for anyone who decides to reply.

Not exactly a real estate book but I really liked Multiple Streams of Income.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Johnson
  • MO (missouri)
Votes |
  • MO (missouri)
Replied Aug 20 2019, 14:38

@James Wise

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Bo Birkeland
  • Investor
  • Lakewood, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lakewood, CO
Replied Aug 20 2019, 16:16

One book that isn't real estate related but has had a huge impact on my life is "The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olsen. I try to re-read this book once a year as a refresh and to course-correct my mindset.

User Stats

Votes
Zoran Stanoev
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Aug 20 2019, 19:07

I also just finished Buy Rehab Rent Refinance Repear (BRRR) by David Greene (a BP book) and really liked it. David does a great job explaining things and addressing common questions. It also helps provide perspective and give you an outline to create a plan of attack.

I'd also recommend podcasts, both real estate related and just business in general. Sounds like you might prefer listening to reading.  And not sure if you know but you can set your podcast player to play at 1.5x or 2x speed. Once you get used to it, you can consume a lot more content.  Good luck.