Votes
Tarica Davis
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
Rochester, NY Wholesaler vs RE Agent

Tarica Davis
  • Rochester, NY
Posted Dec 8 2020, 11:11

Hello BP, just having some true issues with getting my feet off of the ground and started. I just finished my RE class and took my exam but haven't taken a salesperson position yet so I don't have my license yet but I am very undecided about how to get started. I have been working as a nurse for about 10 years and I planned to keep it to take care of my current expenses and lifestyle, while I wanted to start a RE business to begin to gain financial freedom. I forgot to mention the fact that I am a mother who homeschools due to the pandemic which is another reason why I questioned taking a full time position as an agent. I planned on wholesaling and bird dogging from home instead to gain a little capital and build RE relationships that I could use to obtain my first properties and/or partnerships for long term income. I plan on taking care of my everyday expenses with my nursing income and let my RE income fund my RE investments. 

I am reaching out to Rochester, NY local investors to see what they thought would be a good method of execution to get started. I have a very flexible Nursing position so I can work the ground area pretty much at my leisure. I am finding out now since completing RE school that there is slow growth potential as an agent unless I plan to pursue a full time position and plan to focus on a luxury market, thus teaching me more how to be an employee than a business owner. I truly feel like I would be able to grow exponentially by taking non-conventional methods of building capital and investing which can offer me more flexibility with bigger deals instead of starting so small with SFR like I originally planned.

What do you guys think? Should I take a salesperson position to gain exposure to the market and build those buyer/seller lists or should I jump right in wholesaling and build those relationships the old fashioned way? If I took a salesperson position would I have to disclose my side RE business to my broker? Is the Rochester, NY area even supportive of wholesale transactions right now? How would you suggest that I get started, is a local meetup my best option? 

I understand how to analyze deals and evaluate them for potential, but do you guys suggest any apps or software that can help make things easier/ faster for contact management and such? What would a typical day/ week look like for a local wholesaler? Should I open an LLC for the wholesaling business? Any insight would help.

I know that it may seem like a lot, but I rather ask of you guys than go out into the world blind. I had a brokerage reach out to me and claimed to have all these good things to help me grow and learn but were not BBB accredited and there were NO reviews for a business ran for over 20 years. That should be a red flag right? How do I know who to trust? (Just an example of why I am thinking of going the non-conventional route.) If you had the time, drive and know how that you do today when you first started, how would you do it again? I have the time and drive to get moving and I am willing to do the foot work, I am just not sure how to take off. Please BP, help! 

Loading replies...