Upstate New York Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Jon Fletcher
Votes |
Broker Commission on Your Own Purchase

Jon Fletcher
Posted Aug 19 2021, 17:09

Question for all the licensed brokers and salespeople: Have you used your license to buy investment property for yourself? And has the Seller's Agent split their commission with you? It seems like a great way to make back some of the purchase price that you're paying. 

User Stats

Votes
Waylon Zook
  • Etna Green, IN
Votes |
  • Etna Green, IN
Replied Aug 19 2021, 17:50

@Jon Fletcher im under contract for a house where i put in the contract no buyers agent commission to be paid. I dont see the point in paying earned income tax on what is already my own money.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Fletcher
Votes |
Replied Aug 19 2021, 17:53

@Waylon Zook but isn't it better to split the Seller Agent's commission and earn 3% on your purchase price, rather than 0%? I'd rather pay earned income tax on a commission than not earn anything at all. 

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Waylon Zook
  • Etna Green, IN
Votes |
  • Etna Green, IN
Replied Aug 19 2021, 17:55

@Jon Fletcher i put less then list price offer in so im happy. No point in giving uncle sam 30% of the commission for taxes.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Fletcher
Votes |
Replied Aug 19 2021, 17:58

@Waylon Zook in that scenario, did the Seller have a listing agent? If so, do you not feel that you missed out on an opportunity to earn half of their commission, regardless of the final sale price? 

User Stats

Votes
Waylon Zook
  • Etna Green, IN
Votes |
  • Etna Green, IN
Replied Aug 19 2021, 18:00

@Jon Fletcheryes it is listed on the mls. I offered 4k less list. Commission would only have been bout $1500.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Miceli
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oswego, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oswego, NY
Replied Aug 19 2021, 19:10

I think a lot of variables come in to play with it and would have to handle it on a case by case basis as I would think it strongly depends on what you are looking to accomplish, how your broker handles splits, as well as tax strategies as more comes in to play than just your income tax on the 1099.

User Stats

Votes
Victor Steffen
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 19 2021, 22:00

@Jon Fletcher I have purchased several for myself and always collect the 3% commission. It would be silly not to.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Lauer
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 20 2021, 04:12

@Jon Fletcher

State dependent and some lenders will discount this in their underwriting. A reasonable market commission is fine in most scenarios and is fully deserved and common practice. Good luck 🍀

User Stats

Votes
Charles Beck
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Replied Aug 20 2021, 07:33

@Jon Fletcher
Collecting a commission would be better than not collecting anything. Discounting the sales price by what your commission would have been might be a better alternative from a tax prospective - unless you need the commission income. 

User Stats

Votes
Jon Fletcher
Votes |
Replied Aug 20 2021, 13:18

@Waylon Zook it seems like you lost out on $1,000 of easy money. ($1,500 before taxes)

User Stats

Votes
Waylon Zook
  • Etna Green, IN
Votes |
  • Etna Green, IN
Replied Aug 20 2021, 13:20

@Jon Fletcher each to his own but i would rather have the discounted salesprice.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Fletcher
Votes |
Replied Aug 20 2021, 13:22

Thanks @Victor Steffen, I was starting to think I was crazy! In those instances, did you disclose to the Seller's agent that you were buying for yourself, and did they take issue with splitting the commission with you given that you were also the Buyer? 

Rentec Direct logo
Rentec Direct
|
Sponsored
Most Customer-Friendly Landlord Software One app that does it all - with free training and US-based support.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Fletcher
Votes |
Replied Aug 20 2021, 13:30
Originally posted by @Waylon Zook:

@Jon Fletcher each to his own but i would rather have the discounted salesprice.

That only makes sense if the Seller then pays the Seller's agent only half the commission, rather than the full commission. Maybe I'm not understanding your situation. A discounted sales price and having the Seller's Agent split their commission with you are not mutually exclusive. 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Beck
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Replied Aug 20 2021, 13:36

It’s not as if the listing agent has the authority to decide whether or not to split the commission with the agent representing the buyer.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Lynch
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Millbrae, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Millbrae, CA
Replied Aug 20 2021, 13:37

@Jon Fletcher Add an addendum that indicates you are an agent and reduces the $100K sales price to $97, indicates listing agent is entitled to $3K, and that there will be no sales agent commission. (Addendum more complex if you are not a broker and would owe broker.)

Or, identify as a buyer's agent, take the commission and, for taxes, reduce your basis by the commission amount. Include the commission in income on schedule C and include a schedule C expense entitled something like Commissions received as principal. Of course, you need to adjust down your basis in the property you acquired.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Fletcher
Votes |
Replied Aug 20 2021, 13:48
Originally posted by @Charles Beck:

It’s not as if the listing agent has the authority to decide whether or not to split the commission with the agent representing the buyer.

This goes back to my original question: If you're the Buyer and the Buyer's agent, is that something you disclose upfront? Has anyone experienced the Seller's Agent reacting badly? (Even if it's not within their right to.)

User Stats

Votes
Jon Fletcher
Votes |
Replied Aug 20 2021, 13:51
Originally posted by @Michael Lynch:

@Jon Fletcher Add an addendum that indicates you are an agent and reduces the $100K sales price to $97, indicates listing agent is entitled to $3K, and that there will be no sales agent commission. (Addendum more complex if you are not a broker and would owe broker.)

Or, identify as a buyer's agent, take the commission and, for taxes, reduce your basis by the commission amount. Include the commission in income on schedule C and include a schedule C expense entitled something like Commissions received as principal. Of course, you need to adjust down your basis in the property you acquired.

This is helpful. Thanks, Michael!

User Stats

Votes
Charles Beck
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Replied Aug 20 2021, 14:03

This thread is a dumpster fire. 

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 20 2021, 16:53

@Jon Fletcher

Yes

User Stats

Votes
Waylon Zook
  • Etna Green, IN
Votes |
  • Etna Green, IN
Replied Aug 21 2021, 05:43
Originally posted by @Jon Fletcher:

This goes back to my original question: If you're the Buyer and the Buyer's agent, is that something you disclose upfront? Has anyone experienced the Seller's Agent reacting badly? (Even if it's not within their right to.)

In my state we are required to disclose if we are a licensed real estate agent. The PA actually have a line dedicated to the  subject. And if you are writing the offer yourself it doesnt take a rocket scientist to determine that the buyers agent and buyers name are one and
the same.

Btw why would a sellers agent react badly to a offer on their listing?

User Stats

Votes
Waylon Zook
  • Etna Green, IN
Votes |
  • Etna Green, IN
Replied Aug 21 2021, 05:53
Originally posted by @Jon Fletcher:
Originally posted by @Waylon Zook:

That only makes sense if the Seller then pays the Seller's agent only half the commission, rather than the full commission. Maybe I'm not understanding your situation. A discounted sales price and having the Seller's Agent split their commission with you are not mutually exclusive. 

If you could choose a $65,000 purchase price with $1,500 commission or a $61,000 purchase price and no commission which would you choose?

In my situation I wrote a cash offer with no inspections and a two week close. 

This year I sold a spec home where just before closing I had the title company do the closing statement where the commission on the list side was reduced to the amount the brokerage would keep. I then did not receive my split from my broker and instead I netted a higher amount on the sale. That is then taxed as capitol gains instead of earned income.

In my mind the only reason it would make sense to take a commission if you wanted to finance the property so you would get some cash back so to speak. For me I would under normal circumstances rather take the lower mortgage.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Buccanero
  • Realtor
  • Forest Lake, MN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Forest Lake, MN
Replied Aug 21 2021, 06:02

@Jon Fletcher
Collecting a commission would be better than not collecting anything. Discounting the sales price by what your commission would have been might be a better alternative from a tax prospective - unless you need the commission income. 

I like this concept!

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Long
  • Real Estate Broker
  • IN (indiana)
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • IN (indiana)
Replied Aug 21 2021, 10:36

@Charles Beck If there is no buyers agent to be paid then the listing agent keeps both sides.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Beck
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Replied Aug 21 2021, 10:37

@Shawn Long

Have a real estate license and have represented myself in purchases with no tears shed by listing agents

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Long
  • Real Estate Broker
  • IN (indiana)
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • IN (indiana)
Replied Aug 21 2021, 10:42

@Waylon Zook $4K spread across 30 years is like 11 bucks a month. I think I would rather have the bird in hand