Showing Rental Property-- Tips From You All

7 Replies

hello Team!

I'm getting ready to show a recently renovated duplex in Minneapolis, just listed it on Craigslist actually.

I don't have the time (nor the budget, blew that on the reno :) to stage it. I'm curious if there are any staging-hacks I could implement on a dime? Area rugs? Air Fresheners? Flowers? Plants? Puppies? 

Outside the actual property itself, what small things make the showing experience more comfortable for the potential tenant?

Thanks,

Tom 

@Tom Henderson  

I do air fresheners (hide them). I would make sure all blinds are 100% open and all lights turned on before the showing. I give tenants time to explore and discuss by themselves before reviewing specific items with them. Make sure everything is very clean. Usually after a remodel there is dust everywhere. 

Best of luck!

Cheers, Sawyer

@Tom Henderson  

• Let the tenant look around the apartment without you walking around right near them breathing down their neck. They will ask you questions if they have any.
  • Make sure all lights are on and as much natural light as possible is coming in the unit
  • Do you have air mattresses?  We use those to stage and no one has ever been the wiser
  • You can get cheap area rugs from Wal Mart and they look pretty good too.
  • Leave out a dollar store candy bowl
  • If they come their with their relatives make sure to hit on the different safety aspects that make the property great.  
  • Have some kind of "where we go from here" type 1 sheet doc printed up so if someone is interested in applying they know what the process is to do so

You can also do an open house. Make cookies ahead of time (and yes, you can write off the expense of those :-)  ) Plus do all the things mentioned above. Have some applications ready to hand out. Put out some balloons out front.

I do the following:

- Make sure everything is clean.

- Air Wick air fresheners which plug in.  I prefer apple cinnamon which seems to be a universally appealing scent.

- I put out fake flowers in the kitchen and bath.

- I put up a shower curtain, towels, and soap in the bathroom.

- Don't forget the toilet paper in the bathroom.

- Turn on all the lights so people don't have to wonder where the light switches are or fumble for them.

- Partially open closet doors so people get the idea they can look inside.

- If it's the summer time I'll also open the windows to let a breeze in.

- I have temporary curtains that I will put up as well.

- Make sure applications and pens are out, as well as a sample lease and the screening criteria.

It may sound like a lot to do, but I feel that this sets me apart from other landlords who do not care as much.

Pens and paper,  applications, a tape measure and measurements of the rooms. Hand towels, soap ,  and TP  in the bathroom (window covering too). Have a welcome mat for winter so they don't track snow all over your reno. have a broom and mop for when they do and some paper towels.   It is worth the little bit of time to stage the Bathroom.  A chair and table  to fill out aps on if you have the time or some clipboards.  Tell them the key points and let them wander the rooms.  

I use a staging company that is not paid unless the home sells. Twin City local company. 1% of the sale price. They are great! Message me if you would like more info.

Points 1,2, and 4 that @Michael Noto  suggested.  His fourth suggestion is part of the application package I hand them. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here