Showing Rental Property-- Tips From You All

7 Replies

hello Team!

I'm getting ready to show a recently renovated duplex in Minneapolis, just listed it on Craigslist actually.

I don't have the time (nor the budget, blew that on the reno :) to stage it. I'm curious if there are any staging-hacks I could implement on a dime? Area rugs? Air Fresheners? Flowers? Plants? Puppies? 

Outside the actual property itself, what small things make the showing experience more comfortable for the potential tenant?

Thanks,

Tom 

@Tom Henderson  

I do air fresheners (hide them). I would make sure all blinds are 100% open and all lights turned on before the showing. I give tenants time to explore and discuss by themselves before reviewing specific items with them. Make sure everything is very clean. Usually after a remodel there is dust everywhere. 

Best of luck!

Cheers, Sawyer

@Tom Henderson  

• Let the tenant look around the apartment without you walking around right near them breathing down their neck. They will ask you questions if they have any.
  • Make sure all lights are on and as much natural light as possible is coming in the unit
  • Do you have air mattresses?  We use those to stage and no one has ever been the wiser
  • You can get cheap area rugs from Wal Mart and they look pretty good too.
  • Leave out a dollar store candy bowl
  • If they come their with their relatives make sure to hit on the different safety aspects that make the property great.  
  • Have some kind of "where we go from here" type 1 sheet doc printed up so if someone is interested in applying they know what the process is to do so
Michael Noto, Real Estate Agent in CT (#RES.0799665)
860-384-7570

You can also do an open house. Make cookies ahead of time (and yes, you can write off the expense of those :-)  ) Plus do all the things mentioned above. Have some applications ready to hand out. Put out some balloons out front.

I do the following:

- Make sure everything is clean.

- Air Wick air fresheners which plug in.  I prefer apple cinnamon which seems to be a universally appealing scent.

- I put out fake flowers in the kitchen and bath.

- I put up a shower curtain, towels, and soap in the bathroom.

- Don't forget the toilet paper in the bathroom.

- Turn on all the lights so people don't have to wonder where the light switches are or fumble for them.

- Partially open closet doors so people get the idea they can look inside.

- If it's the summer time I'll also open the windows to let a breeze in.

- I have temporary curtains that I will put up as well.

- Make sure applications and pens are out, as well as a sample lease and the screening criteria.

It may sound like a lot to do, but I feel that this sets me apart from other landlords who do not care as much.

Pens and paper,  applications, a tape measure and measurements of the rooms. Hand towels, soap ,  and TP  in the bathroom (window covering too). Have a welcome mat for winter so they don't track snow all over your reno. have a broom and mop for when they do and some paper towels.   It is worth the little bit of time to stage the Bathroom.  A chair and table  to fill out aps on if you have the time or some clipboards.  Tell them the key points and let them wander the rooms.  

I use a staging company that is not paid unless the home sells. Twin City local company. 1% of the sale price. They are great! Message me if you would like more info.

Points 1,2, and 4 that @Michael Noto  suggested.  His fourth suggestion is part of the application package I hand them. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.