Month-to-Month Premium?

9 Replies

My SFR tenant of one year is wanting to renew and has asked what I would charge for him to go for another full year vs. month-to-month. I have read one post on the premium people charge for M2M (that post suggested 8%). Does anyone else have a rule of thumb for a good tenant to stay on?

Also, I usually keep rents level for 2-3 years (I don't want to pay for the turnover). In this case the house has required more maintenance than I had originally anticipated. I think the market would bear a 2-3% increase on the original rent (about $50). Any reason not to ask for this premium as part of the renewal?

I think it's perfectly acceptable to charge more for month to month. I haven't run into this situation yet, but I think I would. 

We give a slight discount for multi-year leases, so why not a slight premium for month to month?

What will your tenant find on Craigslist?  And will it still be worth staying in your rental instead, and pay $50 more per month?

If your tenant is asking about month-to-month, they're thinking of moving.  Why push them out the door?

I'd give them the month-to-month agreement and keep the rent the same.  They may stay longer than they intended to that way.

Then, when they do finally move out, adjust the rent to market at that time.

I charge an $85 a month premium for month  to month. Most of my tenants opt to sign at least another year lease instead. If they asking about month to month they are thinking of leaving anyway.  Might as well get extra money for the upcoming vacancy.

Worst part about month to month is only having one month to market and fill the place if/when renter leaves. Whether or not you ask renter to pay a premium, might be worth writing lease to force 2-3 month notice so you have some time to replace tenant.

I set my leases up to avoid turn over in winter months. 

$50-$75 is fine.  Ask him what his long term plans are?

Remember that the m2m premium is over and above what the annual lease rent would be, so if you raise the annual rent lease by $50 per month, then you would have to first add that to the rent and then work out the extra 8% (unless your existing lease says something about what the renewal rent would be). But if your goal is tenant retention, then you are best served by first conducting a rent survey to see what your local competition is offering for units that are on the market now; there could be a desperate landlord willing to drop rent below market, and your tenant could jump at that. 

Now, when I offer a renewal, since my lease has a rent escalator clause that bumps by 8% and goes m2m by default, I offer tenant two cr more choices; one being the default, two being a year renewal with a lower increase or no increase; and I might also offer to add a feature to the unit for one year renewal but at an even higher rent increase, when the tenant has requested some feature. And I let the tenant pick what works best for them. 

I usually charge 10% premium for month-to-month and it is stated in the original lease that they sign.  I want to highly encourage my tenant to either sign a new lease or leave.  I do not want to be getting the property back in November and risk 3 to 4 months of vacancy during the off peak period.  I take the same approach as @Bob B.  proposes, this is a great idea but state law for Tenant-at-Will would govern this situation.

I just had a thought.  Why don't you ask the tenant what it would be worth to them to go MTM?  If they come up with an amount, they'd sure be on board with it.  That way they voluntarily pay you more money, in an amount of their own choosing - assuming it would be acceptable to you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.